plug in civic g4+ and e wastegate

Davehahn

• 4 months later...

hi @Adamw, when you say they have some issues, are you referring to all e-gates or just the oem ones? The turbosmart egate works pretty well i’ve been told. Have you had any experience with the turbosmart ones? 

As link seems reluctant to give us a way to have push/pull type boost control i had intended to use an egate instead but alas link doesn’t support these either?

Yeah I have used both the turbosmart one and OEM ones.  Both are significantly slower than pneumatic so control is poor.  I would only use the turbosmart for something like a promod where you have a lot of turbine inertia (so dont need real fast response) and need to do some unusual control strategy at staging or launch that cant be done with pnuematic.  The OEM type electronic gates we used at my last job for a category of identical F4 single seaters, in this case we went electronic to reduce risk of the teams cheating.  We had to do all sorts of software tricks (Motec M1's) such as auto recalibrate the position sensors at every start up and software prediction of boost rate of rise etc to get them to work acceptably but even then boost control was not as good or repeatable as the conventional pneumatic system.

I believe Turbosmart now have a black box to allow control from a conventional ECU PWM type boost signal, but I would only go that route for very specific applications.  

5 hours ago, Adamw said:

Yeah I have used both the turbosmart one and OEM ones.  Both are significantly slower than pneumatic so control is poor.  I would only use the turbosmart for something like a promod where you have a lot of turbine inertia (so dont need real fast response) and need to do some unusual control strategy at staging or launch that cant be done with pnuematic.  The OEM type electronic gates we used at my last job for a category of identical F4 single seaters, in this case we went electronic to reduce risk of the teams cheating.  We had to do all sorts of software tricks (Motec M1's) such as auto recalibrate the position sensors at every start up and software prediction of boost rate of rise etc to get them to work acceptably but even then boost control was not as good or repeatable as the conventional pneumatic system.

I believe Turbosmart now have a black box to allow control from a conventional ECU PWM type boost signal, but I would only go that route for very specific applications.  

thanks for the insight Adam, 

the vehicle i’m wanting to use it on is a drag radial car. these setups typically require low boost (5-7) on launch and then ramp in 30+ over about a second. 
co2 based dome pressure target works well in these situations but indont want a stand-alone boost controller to do this. vehicle has currently got a link thunder which works well for everything else i need it to do  

i was hoping the egate might be a solution, but maybe not if they suffer like you’ve said. 

Any idea when link are going to do what every other ecu manufacturer does and give us a push pull type boost control?

cheers

5 hours ago, ytubit said:

Any idea when link are going to do what every other ecu manufacturer does and give us a push pull type boost control?

I guess by that you are referring to "CO2 boost control" or "dome pressure control" with two solenoids like an AMS does?

We added this type of dome pressure control to G4X a while ago.  Wont be adding it to G4+ as the firmware is maxed out already and it is a fairly substantial resource hungry function.