I need DBW actuator recommendation.

HuxRacing

I have a set of 64mm Kinslers I would like to convert to DBW. Car is currently DBW with a GM 95mm throttle body. Honda k24. 

I have reached out to Kinsler, EFI Hardware, and ATPower. Not a single one of these companies will return an email. All I asked was which of their linkage pieces I would need to add to their actuator upon purchase. 

I see numerous BMW DBW actuators on the market and ask which is the preferred one for Link Thunder use. I hear the s54 version will work with soft springs in the itbs.  Any advice is appreciated. 

dyno fire.jpg

engine bay.jpg

The S54 BMW one is pretty common for ITB actuation.  They have no drama driving the RB26, GTiR and 4AGE factory ITB systems and I have fitted one to a Porsche flat 6 with a fairly horrible Jenvey linkage system.  The "need soft springs" comment is only relevant when it is still on an S54 - they have the throttle shafts offset in the bores so if you let them close too much the vacuum "sucks" the throttle blades shut very hard and the motor cant move them - I have never seen this problem when fitted to any other engine.  The only advice I would suggest if you go for the S54 one is dont use the "TPS" sensor that is on the motor, fit a dual track sensor on the ITB's and use that for both sub and main TP instead.  Having the one on the motor is a ball ache to make work as the linkage ratio is rarely linear.  Link sell a nice universal dual track hall effect TPS.  

The AT Power one is a solid option but doesnt really offer anything more than the S54 one.  Linkage is possibly a little more adaptable but I think you will be needing to fabricate stuff no matter which one you choose. 

The Kinsler one is real nice and they possibly offer direct bolt on linkages etc if you have Kinsler throttles, but they are $$$.  About USD$2000 last time I heard.  I suspect they are probably made from a Maxon motor and planetary gearbox in their own bracket as they look very similar size to Maxon one I have worked on before.

Adam, Thanks a ton for that info. I will source an s54 actuator to get this project started. I am a machinist so the necessary mods to mount the actuator and linkage will not be an issue. The kinsler units with DBW installed were an additional $2800.  I am sure I will be reaching out for initial PID info later.