03 350Z - First tune from a first timer

Timboj

On 3/30/2022 at 2:38 PM, Timboj said:

Thanks. I'll give that a shot.

In the meantime, to save me opening it up, can you confirm if the Expansion Connector 1 is a standard 7-pin JST connection? And what gauge/rating of wire would you recommend for running a sensor (or potentially more than one) off the 5V?

Cheers guys.

Would appreciate your answer on the JST connectors, guys? I just bought a pack of them and after opening up the ECU, I realised they are not the correct ones.

Hi guys, I was looking to apply long term fuel trims but I was hoping you could expand on this information in the help file, as it's not super clear to me:

"If using 2 Banks one method of applying the calculated trims to the Fuelling would be to use the Fuel Table for Bank 1 and use a single Individual Cylinder Trim Table on all Bank 2 Injectors applying the difference between the two CLL LTT Tables to this ind cyl trim table."

This is my current config, if that matters, but I haven't yet applied to the ECU:
image.png.bce616778ec3e94a6a5f2bae9a19b73b.png

14 hours ago, Timboj said:

"If using 2 Banks one method of applying the calculated trims to the Fuelling would be to use the Fuel Table for Bank 1 and use a single Individual Cylinder Trim Table on all Bank 2 Injectors applying the difference between the two CLL LTT Tables to this ind cyl trim table."

This is referring to how you can apply differences in fueling between the banks to the tune (pulling those changes out of the long term trim tables).

The one thing in your setup that I would point out is that conventionally bank 1 is the bank with cyl 1 on it.

Ah thanks Vaughan. I made an assumption there with "Left bank" being 1- I'll switch them.

So conceptually I understand it's saying to apply the difference between the two banks for LLTT, but I don't understand the specifics of the setup. Would you mind dot pointing what goes where? A basic 'how to?' Might be useful for other amateurs too.

43 minutes ago, Timboj said:

So conceptually I understand it's saying to apply the difference between the two banks for LLTT, but I don't understand the specifics of the setup. Would you mind dot pointing what goes where? A basic 'how to?' Might be useful for other amateurs too.

So once you have been driving for a while and the two LTT tables have a bunch of values in them indicating that the tune could be improved then you might want to apply those values from the LTT tables to the tune and clear the LTT tables so you can see if it continues to need adjustment.

When you go to apply the LTT values to the fuel table you might find that there are differences between the two LTT values meaning that there is a slight difference in fueling requirements for each bank at different engine speed/load points. Given that the fuel table applies to the whole engine not individual banks if you want to apply those differences to the tune you will have to use the Individual cyl fuel correction.

The way I did this on my own car was I would look at the value of each pair of cells in LTT table 1 and 2 and if they were the same I would make that change (percentage change) in the fuel table but if they were different I would apply the LTT 1 value to the fuel table and I would apply the difference between the LTT 1 and 2 value in the individual cyl correction table. To do this I have the Indiv Cylinder Fuel mode set to Table with Cyl 2, 4 and 6 all set to the same table and make those changes in that table, cyl 1, 3 and 5 would either be set to a 2nd table that was all 0 or set to no table at all so that bank 1 would operate purely on the fuel table where bank 2 would operate on the combination of the fuel table and the ind cylinder correction table.

Hi team, I've seen others have issue with this as well but I can't seem to resolve.

When updating the axes I can't seem to add/remove rows/columns to increase/decrease resolution. Ie. My rows are limited to 11 and columns to 16. The + - buttons are simply prompting to update the cell or deleting what's in it. I've tried 'insert' as well but that's doing the same thing as +.

I'm trying to mirror my replicate my fuel table which is 15 x 22.

On 3/29/2022 at 6:56 PM, Adamw said:

Try something more like below.  Usually you want a lot of retard so that restoration of full torque from zero torque is more gradual.  Deactivation RPM I usually find more like 1500RPM works ok from me but I dont normally need to experiment with that too much.  Also, make sure the VVT isnt activating/deactivating right on the same RPM as that will make a big jump in torque too. 

fDeMP6n.png

This seemed to have worked a treat. I'll do some more testing but this felt much closer to factory, thanks.

On 3/31/2022 at 10:43 AM, Vaughan said:

I've added some code to force the fans and ac clutch off when ignition switch is turned off and that will be in the next release. In the meantime could you please try setting your Auxiliary Outputs -> ECU Hold Power -> Keep Alive time to say 5s (with your RPM Zero Timeout set to 0 still).

Thanks

First test seemed to work correctly. I'll keep an eye on it for subsequent drives.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I was about to wire in my AEM x-series oil temp and pressure gauges via CANBUS, but I think I've hit a wall. My CAN1 is currently configured to run at 1 Mbit/s for my WB2 controller, but it looks like AEMnet runs at 500 kbit/s. Is there any way around this??

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Hoping you can guide me on this one. This is the kind of adjustment I'd like to be able to troubleshoot without a tuner.

Your advice on the fixing my decelerating/coasting issue seems pretty spot on. I can certainly live it in now.

The issue I'm dealing with now (I don't think it was introduced with the previous fix) is I'm experiencing momentary rev spikes shortly after coming off the throttle and disengaging the clutch. You can see here:

image.thumb.png.9836dba089f2f65d8b6d11829d03d7c3.png

I figured it was related to ignition timing sustaining torque, and low and behold, it coincides with flat spots in the ignition angle.

I could probably fumble my way through this, but hoping you could suggest a sensible adjustment?

Hey Tim, possible to share your current map/log ?
I only ask as I can look through it too, see what you've changed as it's interesting learning from your findings too.
I forgot to ask, are you running on normal pump fuel or E85?
:)

In the meantime, I was going to repurpose pin 16 on the main ECU harness for my AEM oil pressure sensor gauge (I'm using An Volt 8 for fuel pressure already). Which ground pin would you recommend connecting the negative wire to? Exp 1, 78? Doesn't matter?