Mini cooper mpi 1300 (mems rover ecu) 1998 trigger setup

kirchoff

Hi i am fitting a link g4x ecu on a mini 1300cc (mems ecu/ rover engine) from 1998, oem  ecu uses wasted spark coil, i wonder which kind of trigger wheel it has, and if linkecu support it.

I have read that could be 36-1 or weirder setups like 36-1-1-1

thanks!

I searched google for "Mini MPI Flywheel" and most look like this example below from MED.  This would be supported by the "Rover K Series 1L6 (14,3,13,2) trigger mode in G4X. 

A couple of sellers show a "MPI" flywheel with a 36-1-1 pattern, not sure if they have used an SPI picture tho.

Does it have  a cam sensor as well?

bBWM3fD.png

I just talked to the firmware engineer this morning as I wasnt sure which Rover modes have been designed to work with a cam sensor.  It looks like the mode that you will need "Rover K Series 1L6 (14,3,13,2)" currently doesnt support a cam sensor - but the Firmware engineer says this will be easy to add and should be able to do it quickly when we have the right info.  

To get the info we need you would need to wire up the ecu - or at least connect the cam and crank sensors to the ecu and do a trigger scope while cranking.  That scope capture is all we need to get it underway.

• 1 month later...

hi Adam as you say i have sync and spark with rover mode, without cam sensor, i will fit it and make s trigger scope on the other hand i don know if it will give any advantage as it has wasted spark coil and just two injectors.

ON the other hand i am not usre which type of injection use on this car manifold is a bit weird looks like inj1  feed cil1 and 2 and inj2 feed cil 3 and 4.

a picture of manifold

injection-manifold-mpi-classic-mini_360_3379eb39774941f72b6354a41fa85104.jpg

Port injection on a siamese port engine needs to be sequential (needs a cam sensor).  If you dont want to use the cam sensor you would be better to go for single point injection.  Rather than explain it all myself, i've copied this info from a megasquirt guy:

eUhqjIk.png

So MPI needs sequential and very big injectors, a maximum of about 20-25% duty cycle.  You need to pair up the injector drives to get injection timing that looks like this:

W1pOuTv.png

It looks like you have a reluctor cam sensor but it is set to opto/hall.  Can you set trig 2 to reluctor and do another trigger scope.

For the injectors you would want to wire both inj drive 1 & 2 to injector 1 and drive 3&4 to inj 2.

hi adam car is running on secuential  driverinj1 and driverinj2 to injector 1 and driverinj3 and driverinj4 to 2, trigger to 80 degrees and injection timing to 0 .

Looks to works quite well, but i have and other random problem, sometimes after starting engine it is misfiring like als or cycle idle, exhaiust goes really hot, stop de car start up again and it run nice, it can be runing good for a long time but if you stop the engine and start up again sometimes it start to misfire, only way to solved it is stop engine and start it again.

its  random problem, when it fail looks like loses sync (but on pclink all looks ok) i have other linkecu i will swap ecus and test becouse looks like ecu get crazy.

On 5/6/2022 at 11:37 AM, Adamw said:

It looks like the mode that you will need "Rover K Series 1L6 (14,3,13,2)" currently doesnt support a cam sensor - but the Firmware engineer says this will be easy to add and should be able to do it quickly when we have the right info.  

Your engine will be randomly syncing 360 deg out because this trigger mode doesnt yet support a cam sensor.  I will pass your trigger scope on to engineering to add this functionality and let you know when I have some new firmware you can test.  

Also your cam sensor is outputting very low voltage - probably too low to ever work reliably so that needs fixing too.  I dont know what the sensor is like in these engines - is it possible to reduce the sensor air gap somehow?

22 hours ago, kirchoff said:

i am afriad no is not possible to lowered, so only solution will be wait for a firmware update?

No you need both, you have two problems:

1. The trigger mode currently ignores the cam sensor.
  2. Your cam sensor in not outputting a suitable voltage level to be detected by an ecu - even if the trigger mode used the cam sensor it wouldnt "see" it