Evo 8/9 question.

k4nnon

Hey all, this question is towards evo 8/9 owners with link systems. 

How are you guys setting your base timing with the wasted spark system? 

I have a spoolin up COP kit but it still operates as a wasted spark unit. 

Are you guys using a normal timing light, using something special? I might be missing something simple, just wondering how you guys are doing it. I want everything to be accurate and right. Thanks for any input. 

There are no tricks.  The normal process is to remove #1 coil and connect an HT lead between the coil and plug and connect the timing light clamp to that.  Most timing lights will also work just by holding the inductive clamp flat on top of the coil.  

21 hours ago, Adamw said:

There are no tricks.  The normal process is to remove #1 coil and connect an HT lead between the coil and plug and connect the timing light clamp to that.  Most timing lights will also work just by holding the inductive clamp flat on top of the coil.  

Hey thanks for the input. Im familiar with that information. My question was more towards the waste spark system. The timing light is going to fire twice the speed with a waste spark system and when checking or verifying drift with increased rpm the timing light is going to be offset by some factor in regards to actual engine ignition timing due to the time it takes to fire the coil at different engine speeds. Ill get it figured out and post up some good info if it is anything other then a normal process.. thanks again for the input.

If you are using a standard timing light without a advance dial on the back then it makes no difference whether it is wasted spark or not.
If you are using a timing light with an advance dial then they usually have a wasted spark/2stroke mode or set it to zero, or you can just double the expected advance in 4 stroke mode.

Thanks for the reply. I did just that! Had an oldschool craftsman timing light that I used. I just locked timing at 0 in Pclink, set the timing light to 0 and my timing marks are dead at 0 at idle as well with raised rpm. Had a question about that though,, I did not have to input any further data into the base timing calibration. Is it common to not have to change values, or is the base timing calibration process like a "just to make sure" procedure..  Thanks again for the input..

Most of our trigger modes have the correct offset built in that is very close for most engines.  The Evo's seem to be pretty consistent from car to car in my experience and usually end up with the offset close to zero but you should still always check.