CAN devices, extra ins and outs, buttons etc

MagicMike

I've been thinking about the best way to get a few more inputs especially (switches or voltage), but outputs would be a bonus.

Is there something link recommend or have had good success with? Something like the ECUmaster CAN Switchboard or the CANchecked version? I like that the CANchecked version has sensor smoothing (fuel level).

https://www.ptmotorsport.com.au/product/can-checked-cfe18-can-bus-function-extender/

The other product that I find interesting is the MFD28 display that offers CAN switching, along with a few inputs and outputs. I like the idea of having touch button switches, I wouldn't use it for the data.

https://www.ptmotorsport.com.au/product/can-checked-mfd28-can-display/

https://www.canchecked.de/can-bus-switching/

Finally, I've seen threads on CAN speed sensors adapters. Ideally, looking for one to hook into the older nissan ABS system.

Has anyone had much experience in any of these units?

What other cool CAN devices are people using?

G4+ is very limited in terms of CAN analog input functionality.  You can use the voltage on the axis of tables or log it, thats about all.  You cant apply labels, units or calibrations, you cant use them as sensor inputs.  So you wont be able to do fuel level.  On/Off type outputs can be done, PWM output over CAN is limited to FP speed only from memory.  CAN digital inputs can do some of the same stuff a hard wired DI can do but there are many limitations with these as well.  

Hm that's a shame. Might have to go right through everything and see if I can free up some inputs.

I've got one for fuel level pencilled so not too concerned with that, trying to kill more than one bird with one stone.

So no chance of the wheel speed to CAN being useful for traction etc? Any documentation floating around I can read?

CAN switching inputs be used in virtual Aux's?

Wheelspeed input via CAN is fine.  Most of the plug-in ECU's for modern cars get wheelspeed via the ABS ecu.  Not too many wheelspeed to CAN devices in the aftermarket though.  ECUmaster and AEM have one I think.  

CAN DI's can be used for virtual auxes.  

20 hours ago, MagicMike said:

Any documentation floating around I can read?

Since there are so many different ways to acheive things, the best way to see if something is possible is to try to set it up in the software yourself, you will quickly find what is possible and not.  List below is what inputs can be received over CAN.  You will notice Analog input and digital inputs options are pretty limited compared to hard wired inputs.  

gOPTmF2.png