Trigger errors and Secondary injection issues

Badnews

Yeah we had a discussion yesterday.  Andrew thinks the output drive of the trig 2 circuit when set to hall would be a little less sensative to noise but his feeling was he would still expect to see some indication on trig 2 if it was via the ground.

He did bring up something I never considered though - he said he has seen sensor vibration cause an effect that looks like noise.  Your bracket looks pretty robust in your earlier pic, but you cant really tell how thick that mounting plate is or the length of the upstand.  Can you flex it at at the sensor end at all with your hands? 

On 8/4/2022 at 4:55 PM, Adamw said:

Yeah we had a discussion yesterday.  Andrew thinks the output drive of the trig 2 circuit when set to hall would be a little less sensative to noise but his feeling was he would still expect to see some indication on trig 2 if it was via the ground.

He did bring up something I never considered though - he said he has seen sensor vibration cause an effect that looks like noise.  Your bracket looks pretty robust in your earlier pic, but you cant really tell how thick that mounting plate is or the length of the upstand.  Can you flex it at at the sensor end at all with your hands? 

Well think I solved it with the stock 36-2 trigger setup from a Beams motor.  I did notice the polarity of the trigger is backwards just now when looking at the trigger scopes.  So I'll have to swap pins on the connector.

Here is a video of my test run.

datalog of the pull
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uMsIH4715Aln1GDB_ohRk4T-esnP2Eel/view?usp=sharing

1100rpm trigger scope
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NifgIi6fbg4wukJlfW1CLhljMYp5uI5i/view?usp=sharing

3000rpm trigger scope
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HChVA1crSiJXjK49v_UsytUz8U0ne34-/view?usp=sharing

5000rpm trigger scope
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J125iXms9v77gjcGmWauwL9SC9MU6PrB/view?usp=sharing

7000rpm trigger scope
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Oa6oaiiyBzv_dx8aaDSmYLZSlGNyIwmD/view?usp=sharing

Yeah definitely wrong polarity, swap those wires asap, you will have significant timing drift with that and I think it will possibly be in the nasty direction...

Im glad to hear that though, I cant really put any logic to how that fixed what we thought was electrical noise but time will tell.  Good work for working through it logically.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 11:20 PM, Adamw said:

Yeah definitely wrong polarity, swap those wires asap, you will have significant timing drift with that and I think it will possibly be in the nasty direction...

Im glad to hear that though, I cant really put any logic to how that fixed what we thought was electrical noise but time will tell.  Good work for working through it logically.  

Just another update. I turned the car back to how it was when the issue started EXCEPT for the 36-2 stock trigger and the noise suppressor on the coil power. Obviously I'm not going to take the suppressor out now as it doesn't hurt.

Anyway car is problem free so far!!! I was ripping around at 23psi (problem began at 15+ psi before) and having fun. I just switched to E85 today and started tweaking the fuel VE for that. I'll get that boost up to 30psi here soon and if everything stays good I'll schedule dyno time.

• 1 month later...

I'm back. Went to the dyno and made 645awhp at 20psi then 735awhp at 25psi.  Never got up to 30psi on the dyno but have a good feel for ignition timing now.  On the street at 25+psi starting to get the trigger errors again. Not sure what to do as I did everything last time. Only thing I can think of is a different ECU. Does the G4X have better filtering than the G4+? And any way I can borrow one to test? Would need a Extreme or Fury for DBW.

Hello
I remembered a situation similar to yours in engine.
I had a 2.4 engine, with the oscilloscope I checked the crank sensor waveform.
This waveform was deformed around 5000 rpm and there was an error in the ECU.
I replaced the harmonica pulley with another one and the defect disappeared.
I think this is caused by the vibration in the crankshaft of these 2.4L engines.
Augusto.

On 10/4/2022 at 7:01 PM, augusto said:

I have a extra ATI dampener and already tried swapping them from my spare engine.

Ok another update. A tuner in Norway named Marius who I message to because he also owns a Celica GT4 asked to see ny tune and logs. I sent it and he emailed me back a tune and instructed me to repin my ecu so IGN 1 = coil 1 & 4 and IGN 2= coil 2 & 3.  He also had me pin my injectors like so

Cylinder 1 = inj 1 primary, inj 2 secondary 

Cylinder 2 = inj 3 primary, inj 4 secondary 

And so on.  Double checked timing and went out testing with it set to wasted spark. No other changes. So far not 1 trigger error at all and have been up to 33psi of boost. 

So maybe this whole time my issue has been the cam sensor. Going to put a stock 3sgte distributor in and just wire the cam sync from it to test.

21 hours ago, Badnews said:

So maybe this whole time my issue has been the cam sensor. Going to put a stock 3sgte distributor in and just wire the cam sync from it to test.

You can just unplug or turn off the cam sensor once running if you think that is the issue.  Im pretty sure we already tried that earlier on but cant remember.  

• 2 weeks later...

Got a stock distributor on for cam sink with the beams crank sensor. Not 1 trigger error since so far. Currently at 32psi of boost or 320kpa MAP Target in boost settings. Got closed loop boost control working great now. My 8 xI D1700X injectors are singing at 64% duty cycle on E72 fuel. So the car is making a lot of power. 

I was curious on the injector duty cycle logged reading in Link with staged injectors - the injector duty cycle number is total duty cycle or primary injector duty cycle until the secondaries kick in and then it reads total or?