Boot load mode

randolph

Hi,

I need to bench power the (wrxlink 107 v10. Which pin(s) is ign+ and ground. Reason for this is because it has failed to upgrade firmware on the car and it’s in boot load mode, i will try upgrade it off the car, unless there’s another way...

tia

50177C38-8ED7-41DC-995B-CA86E1633FAF.jpeg

4 hours ago, randolph said:

Hey you should be able to power and ground this way. Thats the way i bench flashed it and had no issues.  Make sure your firmware and stuff is up to date, i has issues with that stuff. Also had to use an older computer at one point.. Best of luck.

pwr gnd pic 2.jpeg

Yeah I have only ever seen a failure like this when ecu isn’t receiving 12v on the main power pin.  Maybe the 2006/2007 jumpers are in the wrong position so ecu is only powered from a back feed?  The bench test will confirm that 

4 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Yeah I have only ever seen a failure like this when ecu isn’t receiving 12v on the main power pin.  Maybe the 2006/2007 jumpers are in the wrong position so ecu is only powered from a back feed?  The bench test will confirm that 

Could well be as this is being used on a hatchback model. And to bench power? Which pins?

3 hours ago, Adamw said:

Look for the large barrel shaped TVS diode near the header.  Connect +12V to the stripped end and ground to the other end.  

SZhlflg.png

Here’s the update, it will only work and accept update .24 version, i’ve also tried the latest version .25 again after installing the .24 but it crashes still. All this done on bench with 13.5volts. I’m ok with the .24 anyways.

thanks for the support.

10 hours ago, randolph said:

i’ve also tried the latest version .25 again after installing the .24 but it crashes still.

So after you do the firmware update and power cycle does the ecu no longer comer back online with PC link?

4 hours ago, Adamw said:

So after you do the firmware update and power cycle does the ecu no longer comer back online with PC link?

With .25 after it crashes the ecu does not come online, just gives out the message (ecu is in boot load mode, reinstall firmware again) i should have taken a pics of the screen for this but didn’t, if it is important for you to know the exact message let me know i can pull it out and do it one more time, btw i also did try with both jumper settings too although on bench that does not matter.

On 6/8/2022 at 11:32 PM, k4nnon said:

pwr gnd pic 2.jpeg

Did it this way and it worked but only with .24, simply does not work with .25

thanks

Try the most recent PC Link on the website, 6.22.38 is the current one.  6.22.25 would always say boot mode after an update even though ecu was running fine.  Although Im not sure if that is what you are experiencing if it wont even connect.  

13 hours ago, Adamw said:

Try the most recent PC Link on the website, 6.22.38 is the current one.  6.22.25 would always say boot mode after an update even though ecu was running fine.  Although Im not sure if that is what you are experiencing if it wont even connect.  

Let me try this and get back.

• 11 months later...

Hi, similar issue here.

Car has been powered down for a couple of months to do engine work. Upon connecting everything back up the software is saying the ecu is in boot mode, with a prompt to update to latest firmware and won't connect.

I successfully updated the firmware and the software said the ecu was ready to start, however it still won't connect at all.

Any help is much appreciated, cheers.

On Link G4x plug-in S13-14

If you are able to do a firmware update then it must be connecting?  I would remove it from the car power it up via the diode as per the pic 7 posts up to check if you can connect the laptop then.  

I did power it with the diode to do the firmware update but when its installed back on the car it gives a prompt saying it cant connect with error 1024. The ecu is powering up off the car, has correct voltage etc and nothing electrically has been changed on the car since it was last running.

If you can do the update outside of the car when powered independently but cant connect when it is in the car then that is a very strong suggestion it is not actually powered up in the car.    

So can you do this to confirm you can connect to PC Link successfully out of the car:

31 minutes ago, Adamw said:

I would remove it from the car power it up via the diode as per the pic 7 posts up to check if you can connect the laptop then.