3sge Beams Tacho Output

Dannyke70

I've been trying to make a tacho work with my 3sge and can't get the tacho to move at all. 

I've tried changing all different settings with frequencies and sweep times but it won't move the needle on either of my saas tachometer. 

I can read a signal with a multimeter that climbs to 0.02v ac on a sweep. But no reading on the frequency setting of the multimeter.

11 hours ago, Dannyke70 said:

I've been trying to make a tacho work with my 3sge and can't get the tacho to move at all. 

I've tried changing all different settings with frequencies and sweep times but it won't move the needle on either of my saas tachometer. 

I can read a signal with a multimeter that climbs to 0.02v ac on a sweep. But no reading on the frequency setting of the multimeter.

SW20 MR2s and ST18x, ST20X tachos are triggered by the ignition system not the ecu directly. If you have rewired the tacho signal to come directly from the ECU the tacho will require modification to accept the low voltage ECU signal. I have done this on my SW20 MR2 when I 2GR swapped it and there are examples of the process elsewhere in the forum.

Same applies if you have swapped a blacktop beams into an older car such as KE70 etc

Really would need to know what the tach he is using is expecting, then modification if it's OEM or some type of output tach adapter may be required.  I don't like modifying the OEM tachs on the MR2 and Celicas with swaps so I usually run a tach adatper (8920 MSD) or similar item.