SR20 Trigger Issues

JackB

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of installing a G4x fury into an s13 silvia with an sr20 engine (s13 de with distributor ignition). The issue im facing is that when trying to set the base timing of the engine, my timing light does not flash at all. To ensure it is not a faulty timing light it has been tested on another engine.

On wiring connector A, Trig 1 has been connected to 'Pin 3' of the distributor (360x as referenced in the Haltech Image), Trig 2 has been connected to 'Pin 4' of the distributor (4x as referenced in the Haltech Image). When continuity tested, from the distributor plug to ecu plug, this matches.

dis.thumb.JPG.ba15c549b245104cc9fae752a7793ef8.JPG

The triggers have been configured as layed out in the help file.

The ECU is powered, unlocked and able to be connected to. When cranking the engine with the F12 'runtime value' interface open there is no engine speed, trigger 1 or 2 signal, trigger 1 error, fuel or ignition cut or engine kill change at all.

When the ignition driver 1 is set to test mode, with each lead connected to a spark plug externally and earthed to the engine, a physical spark is made and the timing light is functional. 

The car has a new battery, as well as a jump pack connected while cranking.

I have conducted a trigger scope test, which appears to have some data, although I am unable to interpet its validity, and have attached this test and the ecu file to this post. Any assistance in troubleshooting this issue would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jack

last test.llgx s13.pclx

That haltech note is actually wrong by the looks.  Pin 3 is the 4X (trig 2) and pin 4 is the 360X (trig 1).  However, even with those swapped you still should have seen a signal.  Your triggerscope shows nothing.  

Have you got power and ground on distributor pins 5 & 6?

aAtSuUv.png

Hi Adam, 

Thanks for your reply. I've repinned the triggers accordingly. You were correct in thinking that either the pin 5 or 6, power or ground were missing. I've attached the new trigger scope log, which looks much more promising. I will try to time it now tomorrow.

Thanks again for your assistance.repinned.llgx

It certainly looks closer but there is still something wrong.  

The trigger 2 pattern should show 3 skinny slots every 90degs then a single wide slot in the 4th 90deg spot.  But you also have a weird group of 4 extra teeth just next to the wide slot and trig 1 signal gets a bit messed up at the same time.  

I have seen the Nissan CAS's do weird stuff like this if the voltage supply to them is very low (such as cranking on a flat battery).  So assuming the battery is good you may have to take another look at the CAS power supply.  You can also look at what the battery voltage is dropping to in a PC Link log while cranking to see if that is acceptable or not.  

5QJGEwf.png

Started tuning the car and all was well until the rpm signal was lost around 6000. Ive checked and don't believe there are any limits active. When a run was logged, a trigger 1 error occured at the time when the rpm signal was lost. I'm wondering if the ecu is not seeing the correct amount of teeth at this rpm because of the high tooth count of the Nissan sensor combined with its age, or potentially another problem.

The sensor is wired as shown in the help file, to sensor ground. I did read another post where someone suggested changing this to engine block ground as is apprarently factory. 

I have attatched the log file with the rpm signal lost and trigger 1 error, and two trigger scopes, one at idle and one at 5000 rpm.

If anyone could provide any feedback, that would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jack

PC Datalog - 2022-06-22 7;59;17 pm.llgx trigger scope 5k.llgx trigger scope idle.llgx