b16 no ignition

Sir Alfred of Hors III

Yoo,

So, just in the process of getting the car ignition and base stuff all sorted so I can make sure everything works before giving it to a tuner.

So, we went to set up the trigger btdc stuff, and discovered there is 0 spark. Triggers are set as the manual specs. everything is set up how it is specified to be in the manual. rising rate distributor, 1342 firing rate, etc etc. Fuel is currently off.
Trigger 1 and 2 status are on. rpm is 200~, there is trigger errors though. Unsure on what is causing them yet. did think it was from trigger setup not properly timed yet.
But nop, no spark.
ignition cut isn't on, rpm limit isn't on.
attached trigger scope. Unsure if it's reading too many triggers, or I'm not reading it right

Distributor is also getting very warm while ignition is on. hasn't been a time where it was connected whilst the distributor was in opposite polarity.

At some point I will give it to a tuner to sort, but just making sure I haven't got any bad parts first

TriggerScopeLog.llgx

Nothing much looks out of place in any of your data.  In the log it appears everything is there that is needed for a spark.  I wonder if it is just the offset is off by quite a bit and causing the spark to occur when the distributor rotor is not pointing at a post in the cap.  

If you turn the engine to TDC1 by hand and pull the distributor cap off then give us a photo of where the "sync tooth" is in relation to its sensor I should be able to estimate whether the offset is in the ballpark or not.  

14 hours ago, Adamw said:

Nothing much looks out of place in any of your data.  In the log it appears everything is there that is needed for a spark.  I wonder if it is just the offset is off by quite a bit and causing the spark to occur when the distributor rotor is not pointing at a post in the cap.  

If you turn the engine to TDC1 by hand and pull the distributor cap off then give us a photo of where the "sync tooth" is in relation to its sensor I should be able to estimate whether the offset is in the ballpark or not.  

So, the weird thing is this hasn't been touched since it was running. But it looks fine. Albiet abit of a dark mark on it. Did give it a buff to see if that was it.

Bottom left is 1, top left is 3, top right is 4, bottom right is 2.
The points on the cap look fine

20220620_183237.jpg

I actually wanted to see the sensor and tooth location in the distributor which is under the black cover.  Not sure how easy that is to get too.  

While you have the cap off, you could run a small piece of wire from that coil spring to somewhere close to ground, then turn on Ign test #1 to see if you get a spark there.  

NsAokOk.png

11 hours ago, Adamw said:

I actually wanted to see the sensor and tooth location in the distributor which is under the black cover.  Not sure how easy that is to get too.  

While you have the cap off, you could run a small piece of wire from that coil spring to somewhere close to ground, then turn on Ign test #1 to see if you get a spark there.  

NsAokOk.png

I'm fairly sure the toothed thing is buried deep under all the components. Unless it's this one, which is just under the black cover (stock picture for effect)
See the source image

In the meantime, I will test the spring and ign 1 test, see if anything happens.
At the very least, that might tell me whether the distributor finally shat the bed.
It is an ebay one, so was kinda destined to die, apparently. 
Only thing I can think of that might have caused any issues, is potentially the cap being left off for a few weeks, but it was in the garage with no water access.
I do have a spare coil from my other distributor (oem one), which I think I said above, but was worried if it's settings related, it might blow that too. But, you said settings seem fine, so might try that worst case.

But, if the distributor itself is the issue, time to wire in the CoP conversion, hah.

Anyway, will be back soon with an update

22 minutes ago, Adamw said:

This is what I wanted to see the position of:

image.png.6400a3af6f4b3ff21269bf15407e6371.png

Alright, so, replaced the coil while I was in there. But yeap, definitely off.

Also wasn't sparking from coil spring to ground on test, thus replacing coil.

Still nothing with proper coil.

Pics; first one with the sensor thing lined up to the middle of the hole is middle of the three lines on crank pulley.

Other one is lined up with the single line further off, which might be btdc?

Don't worry about the belts, they have managed somehow lmao.

But yeah, it's odd that it was all set up before, and this is all mechanical, isn't it? Unless one of those dizzy bits can be adjusted by the ecu?

20220621_183454.jpg

20220621_184117.jpg

20220621_184142.jpg

20220621_184153.jpg

Don't know why I missed it before, but solo white mark is tdc, triples are various points btdc.
Some of the diagrams also show another point to measure from.

Will test for spark tonight anyway, see if the coil was the answer. And if not, go scouring.
Either way, ty for your help, seems it's not ecu related, which narrows it down a lot haha

Edit; Nevermind, that's cam position sensor apparently. Tdc is deeper inside. Right behind the coil thst is easily removable

It's a learning experience. Always something new to learn on this, which is nice

Screenshot_20220622-170925_Messenger.jpg

That cam position sensor looks to be in about the right place so I think your offset should be close enough for a spark to be able to make it out of the distributor.

And it should spark in test mode so that also suggests your no spark issue is no related to incorrect offset. 

If it is not the coil then the most likely culprit is the ignitor, this is the this electronic module inside that the coil -ve wire goes to.  So swap that if you have a spare.  

1 hour ago, Adamw said:

That cam position sensor looks to be in about the right place so I think your offset should be close enough for a spark to be able to make it out of the distributor.

And it should spark in test mode so that also suggests your no spark issue is no related to incorrect offset. 

If it is not the coil then the most likely culprit is the ignitor, this is the this electronic module inside that the coil -ve wire goes to.  So swap that if you have a spare.  

no bingo there either.
Still getting trigger errors and no spark.

Doesn't spark with stock ecu seemingly. Something is up.

Might have to sit on it and give it to the tuner to deal with at this point haha. Dude knows hondas inside and out seemingly, so should be able to find the issue. I'll inb4 I've forgotten something, or missed something and not realised.
Thanks for your help man

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2022 at 5:54 PM, Adamw said:

For anyone who finds this in google, the distributor was the issue. Got a brand new one off a friend, and it ran on the stock ecu. Rich as all hell, but it ran (1000cc life).

So, got it timed now, Still isn't running, but is close.
Does try to fire as soon as you turn the key, then nothing.

So, at least I know distributor is good, and it can run. think it's about time for the tuner to do the rest haha

Edit: got it running. It wasn't just the distributor. The intake manifold had a hole in it, and was sucking air through there, causing it to rev to the moon. Haven't put the link back in just yet, but I have a sneaking suspicion that was the issue. Will update if it works now