Electronic Wastegate Control

WRX_555

Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing a Turbosmart E-WG45 for my Impreza and I was wondering if this can be controlled by the Link G4X and if anyone has had any experience with running these wastegates with a Link G4X?

It's mentioned on the TurboZentrum website that you would need a "high current" (20amp) output and a spare analogue input to make the electronic wastegate work.

https://turbozentrum.co.uk/E-WG45-electronic-Wastegate-120-Psi-83-Bar-black-Turbosmart_1?gclid=CjwKCAjwwdWVBhA4EiwAjcYJECMpVXaq7e48RV61pnQtMnEqPS3DhfjRJ8vcgNyoRJ5c2wSECZ36BBoCH6YQAvD_BwE

Many thanks,

WRX_555

There is currently no direct control strategy in our firmware for the electronic gates. It is planned in future but is not being worked on yet so is still some time away.  

In my experience they are really only an advantage in very high power drag racing applications where you need to do some odd control strategy at launch or for compressor surge that cant easily achieved with an pneumatic gate.  In all other cases - especially road going cars the the electronic gate will give poorer control than a pneumatic gate due to the slow response speed.  

If you want to use one now the only option is to interface with the ecu via their "black box": https://www.turbosmart.com/product/blackbox-electronic-wastegate-controller/

• 1 month later...

HI Adam, 

to add to this topic, what about using a wastegate or throttle body as a blow off valve?

is that possible on the G4X? specifically a 350z PNP one.

i am looking to run an electric wastegate and either a second one or a throttle body for a blow off valve. this would be being used in a drag race application.

also considering a regular pneumatic wastegate with a MAC valve for the blowoff.

looking for better boost control at launch with a 6sp manual car.

thank you for the help!!

Not directly at present.  In the near future we will be releasing a device that could do closed loop position control of two DC motors, but for your application I would be leaning more towards CO2 boost control.  With that you are controlling only the wastegate dome pressure so the boost control is not affected by all the dynamics going on in the intake manifold with launch limiters etc.  The vast majority of boosted drag cars use this method as it gives very stable and repeatable launch boost.  Effectively you have a realtime user adjustable spring in the wastegate.   An electronic wastegate for drag racing would typically be controlled by pre-throttle pressure which is less stable and also throws a big spanner in the works if the driver has to pedal the throttle at any time during the run. 

The E-throttle blow off valves that you see in the intake pipes are not usually controlling boost - they are just bleeding air so that there is enough air flow through the (very large) compressor to get it operating above its surge line.  In the few high powered drag cars I have been involved with they used a conventional BOV with PWM CO2 to control it.  Basically it was fully open on the launch limiter and progressively closed with a short timer after launch - so you didnt get a big boost spike as it closed.