Trigger issues

Jesse46

Hi there, complete noob here.

Finished wiring my link into my rb26 and having trouble with my Yelsha D 24-1 cam trigger. Wired into trig 1 using provided shielded black & white. Set up in software with (i think) the appropriate settings. Upon turning the motor over I'm getting some super weird readings. RPM is all over the place, ranging from 140 to 3000.  Trigger errors everywhere, about 2-3 per second. Trigger scope looks super crap, unsure if its actually reading teeth or noise. Tried changing arming threshold values, rpm filtering, still similar results. Been battling with this for the last couple days and it's now beyond me. If it matters, I've been using another vehicle with jumper leads between to help crank it over. 

I've attached a few trigger scopes with different arming thresholds, along with the base map. 

Any help appreciated, keep in mind I'm very new to this.

Cheers

Trigger Scope Log 2022-06-27 1;32;41 pm 0.5 arm.llg Trigger Scope Log 2022-06-27 1;34;29 pm 0.2 arm.llg Trigger Scope Log 2022-06-27 1;34;59 pm 1 arm.llg rb26 current.pclr

I would recommend trying a value of 0.5 in the 0RPM cell of your Trigger 1 Arming Threshold Table

You do also seem to have a lot of noise on the falling edge of your trigger signal which is probably causing the issue. Attached picture shows the Trigger signal jumping up and down including jumping across the 0 crossing. @Adamw might be able to offer some suggestions of things to check which could be causing this.

Capture.PNG

Yeah something very wrong here, not sure what though.  

42 minutes ago, Jesse46 said:

Wired into trig 1 using provided shielded black & white.

Can you explain the wiring better - from memory the sensor that came with the YelshaD kit that we tested wasnt shielded.  The new sensor should connect to pin 2 & 4 in the original Nissan CAS plug.  From memory on the Nissan side of the plug the trig 1 wire is Green & Yellow and the ground is black.

Hi Adam,

Have used the loom provided with the ecu. Using the black and white cores from the black cable for trigger 1, into the black and white on the cam trigger side. I’ll attach a photo of that. Unsure if polarity is correct, I’ve tried both ways but feel the issue isn’t related to polarity on its own. And yes, the cable provided with the yelsha trigger isn’t shielded - I’ve temporarily moved it well away from any other cables just while testing.

Cheers

FE9AC412-F9D3-40FE-A3B8-6B49D9AB9F94.jpeg

Ah, didnt realise it is a wire-in ecu. 

Polarity is correct in your scopes.  Cant quite see in the pic clearly enough, but the braided shielding has been cut off at the grey plug right?  

Can you unplug the ecu A connector and measure resistance between Pin 7 &8 in the plug - you might need to poke some paperclips or similar in the holes if your multimeter probes dont fit.  

Its almost like starter current is passing through sensor ground or something...

Can you also do a triggerscope with the engine cranking, but with the sensor pulled out of the plate so it is just hanging in free air - this may prove if the noise is coming from the starter.  

During the early stages of putting the motor together, the sensor was actually rubbing on the wheel as I was turning it over by hand. I’ll attach a photo of what the damage looks like. 

Havent checked air gap properly but I would estimate about 0.5mm. 
No continuity from ring around bolt hole to either sensor wire.

01330654-C956-4913-B2DD-EBB9621DF70A.jpeg

2ABBB38D-E7C2-45A0-82AB-57E21A5C1F74.jpeg

God knows, but the zero noise on the scopes when the sensor is unmounted suggests the wiring is ok and the issue is something related to the sensor or mechanical/mounting.  Maybe the earlier rubbing damaged it internally?  Hard to imagine since inside they are just a coil of wire wrapped around an iron core but something fishy is going on there and I have seen stranger things happen.  Im pretty sure they are only a cheap chinese sensor too so could have even been bad from the start...  One of our engineers has that same kit on his RB and it gives a good waveform.  

This is driving me insane.

Have a friend down the road with the same sensor on his rb25/30. He kindly loaned his sensor for me to try, and have done just that with the same issues. 

Still getting mass trigger errors. Did another triggerscope, I'll attach it.

Trigger Scope Log 2022-06-27 10;35;31 pm codys sens.llg

Update: while up late wondering why I ever decided to get into cars, I thought about how I could simulate the motor turning over without actually turning it over, so I came up with the elaborate contraption below

79D53459-3CC7-4AB1-888D-34DE28F10B00.thumb.jpeg.3409416b7be82da489ed23480a1fc2e1.jpeg

I then did a triggerscope while it was turning, and got a near perfect waveform, 0 trigger errors and steady engine rpm. I think this narrows it down to bad mechanical fitment, which I’ll dig into tomorrow.

0F899D61-9B86-4625-9C53-CB0475AD83B1.thumb.jpeg.ddb5362ffcee959072a0e583db37981a.jpeg