Hot start issue EJ20

Josh Smith

Hi Guys

This issue is still been a problem I suspect its the ECU.

So when i first start the car in the morning it the engine will fire right up no problem. take it for a drive weather it a 5 minute drive down the road or a 5 hour drive it will run like it should. if i turn it off and re start it right away its fine if i go and leave it 20 minutes and try and re start it it will not start the the love of money. 

Fuel pump is new 2 years ago and has split fuel rail fuel system with yellow injectors witch have been serviced and flow tested. Coils are all genuine new 2 years ago and don't suspect this as it has no misfire to speak off. Battey is new and test's fine.

I am at a loss to what this could be.

Trigger Scope Log 2022-07-3 10;26;42 am.llg Tune file.pclr Will not start log.llg

Forgot to add new Crank sensor and changed cam sensor I connected my scope to test for injection witch was present and checked for spark it has every thing for it to run but feel the ecu not injecting or sparking at the correct time to create combustion the problem is every time I open the bonnet the bloody thing fires up before i can get a chance to carry out more in depth scope checks. i tell ya im getting sick of it as i cant take it any where with out it not wanting to start and who wants to have a car that wont start when you want it to

Was that trigger scope taken when the engine wouldnt start?  I would bump the arming thresholds up a little as there is a little bump in the cam waveform that shouldnt be there, could possibly be counted as an extra tooth.  

Try something like this:

s4LqxLy.png

22 hours ago, Josh Smith said:

but feel the ecu not injecting or sparking at the correct time to create combustion

Injection timing doesnt matter - engines with batch fire or even single point injection with no injection timing still start ok.  

Spark could certainly be an issue but you will need a timing light on it when it wont start to confirm that.  Ideally for this test you would pull a timing belt cover off and paint a TDC mark on a cam pulley so you can confirm it is sparking not only at the correc t crank angle but also on compression stroke, not exhaust stroke.  If you only check on the crank it may be syncing 360deg out but the timing would still look correct. 

If Allow CAN antitheft is off and there is no antitheft DI assigned then the antitheft status will just show whatever was last left in that memory location so is not relevant.  "Engine Kill" will be active if there is anything ECU wise attempting to prevent start up. 

• 1 month later...