Tach signal

MartinS

Hi, VW Vanagon with Link G4 Xtreme running Subaru EZ36.  I can't get my tach needle to budge.  Have checked all the wiring and I'm getting all the correct voltages at the tach and the signal from the G4 is wired in correctly (I get a signal at the tach with the engine running).  

The tach is a VW unit modified by a Subaru-Vanagon conversion company to work with a Subaru ECU in the Vanagon.  I would say maybe it's faulty except I modified my tach following online instructions to have it read a Subaru ECU and it didn't work so I assumed I screwed it up. 

Is there a problem driving a tach modified to accept a Subaru ECU tach signal with a G4 (I assumed the Subaru signal would be the same but...) or am I just really unlucky and have 2 dud tachs?  

Assuming you have the tacho function assigned to an aux output (not injector or ignition aux) then the ecu will be outputting a 0-12V squarewave.  All tachos designed to be driven by an ecu would work with this signal as that is al any ecu can output.  

Thanks Adam, just got to that today and have a working tach...not very well but it's definitely the tachometer, signal is great, tach response is a strange and sticks in place like it's magnetize.  I'll figure it out.

OK, used new electronic board but soldered to my original tach mechanical components.  Now works perfectly.  Don't know what's wrong with the 'restored' mechanical components of the new gauge but acts like perhaps it's magnetized.  Original acts as it should, now have a working tach!  Easy to adjust to be pretty accurate with the multiplier setting.  Thanks again!