VCT and cam timing logging

av8

Hi, I'm trying to check if my VCT is working properly without access to a dyno.

RB25DET NEO / standard cams / LinkG4X

The VCT solenoid is working (clicks on and off when  testing) and it has been set to come on at 1500 and off at 4700rpm but i can't really feel the difference when driving with it on or off ... so I'm after some help with how to set up logging to record intake cam position/cam timing so i can do a couple of logs, 1: with VCT enabled and 2: with it disabled do see if I'm getting the claimed 20' advance when it is engaged.

many thanks

Im not real knowledgeable with RB25's but as far as I remember they dont even have a position sensor on the VCT cam, so there is no way to see cam position in the ECU software.  

If you put the VCT aux into test mode when idling I would expect you should hear the difference if it is moving - it will run rougher or lambda will change etc.  

31 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Im not real knowledgeable with RB25's but as far as I remember they dont even have a position sensor on the VCT cam, so there is no way to see cam position in the ECU software.  

If you put the VCT aux into test mode when idling I would expect you should hear the difference if it is moving - it will run rougher or lambda will change etc.  

Hi Adam, thanks for this ... makes sense if i don't have a cam angle sensor on the inlet cam then i can't log it :(

When i set VCT to on at idle, it makes the idle go rough as hell, so it's definitely doing something ... I was just curious to see how much advance I'm actually getting