Newbie - Subaru v3/4 questions

Yash

Hello Team,

First i would like to say this is a great forum.

So i just got link ECU g4x WRX4X for my subaru v3/4 Upgrading from an ESL board and I was thinking to install the ECU this week and have the following questions.

1. Using the Subaru ecu case / enclosure

• If i want to keep the usb cable easy to reach / connect, so i need to drill a hole in the case ? correct? and same applies for other expansion cables?
  • Is there another enclosure that I can purchase which will allow the above without the drilling etc. Has anyone done this?

2. Base map

• I read in the manual that i need a tune straight away but me being based in Mauritius, tuners are limited so if I install the Link ecu, Can I drive around without racing the car until I get it properly tuned? I wanted to get the link Map and IAT, none are available local so will have ti purchase from USA and wait for shipment etc
  • The manual states that it is imperative to get the link Map / IAT sensor before using the ECU, is this correct?
    • Can I not use the stock map sensor and maf in the mean time?
  • Can anyone share a stock tune for a v4 sti which will allow me to drive around until I get a custom map?
    • Only mod to the car is catless downpipe, Air filter, V8 top mount intercooler
    • 3 port mac boost solenoid
    • I also have AEM AFR
    • Injectors, turbo etc are stock

3. My ecu wiring was JDM but had to change 3 pin out to suit the ESL ecu which was mounted to a UK ECU.

• Is the LINK pin outs JDM or UKDM? If it is JDM then I will need to re move the pin to suit the JDM pin out.

4. Any other advice before I install the ECU is welcome

Thank you so much

6 hours ago, Yash said:
  • If i want to keep the usb cable easy to reach / connect, so i need to drill a hole in the case ? correct? and same applies for other expansion cables?
  • Is there another enclosure that I can purchase which will allow the above without the drilling etc. Has anyone done this?

I've never personally installed a V4 ecu, but on most other ecu's I just file a small "half round" notch beside the header, a bit like drawn below in pink.  I have heard of some users 3D printing their own case with a custom logo or similar but I dont know of anyone that offers them commercially.  

9BbWXVR.png

6 hours ago, Yash said:

I read in the manual that i need a tune straight away but me being based in Mauritius, tuners are limited so if I install the Link ecu, Can I drive around without racing the car until I get it properly tuned?

It will start and run after doing the basic setup and calibration, but it wont be very drivable without some tuning.  

6 hours ago, Yash said:

I wanted to get the link Map and IAT, none are available local so will have ti purchase from USA and wait for shipment etc

The factory MAP sensor will get you going.  For the IAT, any IAT will do, grab something from a junk yard.  

6 hours ago, Yash said:

Is the LINK pin outs JDM or UKDM? If it is JDM then I will need to re move the pin to suit the JDM pin out.

The only difference I know of is some models have the cam/crank inputs swapped, either loom version will work with our ecu, this is taken care of with the "opt1/2" DIP switches on the bottom board.