Alternative to GaugeArt CAN gauge ?

Julien

Is there any good alternative to this gauge?

I’ve installed one (and was considering to get a panel mount one for a better reading) but never got it working as intended simply because I’m an Apple user..  It sounds stupid but the software and therefore the firmware available for us is 2 years old and the new release (correcting the gear display and enabling the new items implemented by Link) which was announced 6 weeks ago is still not available. No new date announced and the answer from the support is to borrow an android device.. 

So if a proper company is offering a good product with a good support I’ll ditch the gaugeart very quickly…

The 3 I know of are Perfect tuning, CANChecked and BTI.  All of these just use the generic dash stream and arent configurable though so I dont think you will get any better functionality.  

Did you talk to Gaugeart directly?  I can get our product manager to follow up with them if needed.  They did tell us back when testing the beta firmware that the apple approval process could be long and difficult so there may not be a lot we can do.

Thanks for the answer, that’s a shame :/

Yes I did exchange with them:

I’m not blaming you, you did well by processing my request about the EGT and finally adding even more parameters for the whole bunch of users that we are.

its just that I would prefer to pay a fee to get regular updates through the App Store rather than having it for free every 2 or 3 years.. we are still stuck at 1.913..

F51911FB-BC82-4E7B-967A-05ACDB5C75D1.jpeg

I updated the gauge today..

I know it’s not related to you but just for others that could follow this topic:

The gear engaged display still don’t work

The instant fuel/distance is display in L/km instead of L/100km

The overwrite file if exist ‘switch’ cannot be selected because it’s behind the notch on iPhone 11 

I hope it won’t take 2 more years to be corrected :(

4 hours ago, Julien said:

The gear engaged display still don’t work

Im pretty sure I remember @Vaughan testing the gear.  I'll see if he can double check.

4 hours ago, Julien said:

The instant fuel/distance is display in L/km instead of L/100km

So do you mean the decimal point is in the wrong place?  ie its displaying 0.12 instead of 12.0?  Or just the unit text/label is wrong?

5 hours ago, Vaughan said:

works on my car last I checked but maybe they only fixed it for Android

Yes, that’s what I guess too.

7 hours ago, Adamw said:

So do you mean the decimal point is in the wrong place?  ie its displaying 0.12 instead of 12.0?  Or just the unit text/label is wrong?

Now you wrote this so I’m wondering if it displays the correct value.. i had a 3 digits value and it may be the cc/min instead of the l/km.. 

I’ll check that next weekend when I can take the car out for a drive

Just tested now with Android.

When I loaded an old config and added gear and economy (l/km) to it the economy value matched cc/min and gear didn't work.

When I made a new config gear did work but economy (l/km) was still inst cons cc/min.

The instantaneous cc/min instead of l/100km from the ECU appears to be my bad, the units at the gauge end I suspect are due to limited text space

Ok, sad if it can’t be corrected :(

But it’s not something mandatory.

I bought an 8’’ tablet from Lenovo and will implement Realdash to get rid of the gaugeart display. I didn’t wanted to do so to keep the car more ‘period correct’ but never mind..

thanks for the feedback anyway :)

• 2 months later...

I'm on the market for such a 52mm can gauge. 

I know link is more affiliated to the GaugeART one. Could anyone running this first one, or the Perfect tuning, CANChecked and BTI one give a feedback, about what they find good or not so good on each model? 

It looks like the BTI one looks to have the nicest screen but the casing looks like painted 3d printed plastic. 

The Canchecked seems to be the less expensive here in Europe. a friend of mine has one, in the e36 I tuned, so its feels ok, but I wans't overly impressed. 

the perfect tuning, they only seem to speak about MS and little about other standalones, so maybe reduced compatibility? 

your advices would be great :)

• 2 weeks later...

I use a CANChecked MFA 2.0 and it has performed well so far. I have used it for 8 months, first on MS and now in Link. It doesn't offer custom warnings like the GaugeART or Perfect Tuning, it can be cumbersome to configure at first, and I've found that not all channels are showing values but that could be wrong configuration on my CAN setup. What I like about it is that it is discreet in the MX-5 dash, has a discreet shift light and it can also be set it up as an analog display to be less distracting. You can setup popup warnings or discreet warnings for each sensor. I have had to use support because I broke the rotary switch and Stephan was responsive and helpful.

I don't have any direct experience with the others.

• 3 months later...

So I bought the link one in the end. 

Tried to install it on the bus together with aem x series, I know I need to change the bitrate of the gauge to 500kb

So for that I wanted to connect to the gauge as explained both on the delivered paper or the gaugeart site. 

However no success with 2 Android phones. 

The first one doesn't even start the app (only a kind of pop up saying please allow permissions for the app to start), with no restrictions when I go to app settings. 

And the second one I can start the app but I am greated by the following error:

"An error occurred: failed to connect To 192.168.4.1 (port 333)From /:: (port 0) Connect failed : Permission denied"

Also everything allowed on that second phone, WiFi, media, even position.... 

What may I do wrong? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2022 at 7:05 AM, Vaughan said:

The consumption value will be fixed next ECU firmware update and I believe you can put your own labels on each gauge but I don't think that extends to your own units.

Is there a way to define a custom stream to get around this in the meantime?