Link G4X ecu and MXS strada dash questions

evo_gerard

good day everyone.

I'm embarking on a upcoming project where I'm installing a G4X extreme ecu and a MXS Strada dash street edition (link model) in an Evo 7.

I have a couple questions to ask as I'm trying to plan everything out in my mind/on paper before.

1. Can the dash take care of the battery/charge light?

2. Is there a procedure to create a fuel level input?

3. The car has ACD, can the dash show when the ACD modes switch?

I'm trying to do this install as clean as possible. I know for questions 1 and 3 I could install LEDs (as a last resort) if there isn't a way for the dash to take care of it. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Gerard

6 hours ago, evo_gerard said:

Can the dash take care of the battery/charge light?

I can't speak to the EVO 7 specifically but often the resistance of the bulb is an important part of the circuit and so you might need to wire up a resistor in place of the bulb and then setup the dash to just turn on a light based on battery voltage.

Is there a procedure to create a fuel level input?

If you have a search on the forum there are a few threads with examples of circuits to give a fuel reading including ones that slow down the response so you get a nice steady fuel reading without the effects of fuel slosh.

The car has ACD, can the dash show when the ACD modes switch?

Once again I don't know the EVO 7 well but I imagine there is something you can tap into which will tell the dash the state of things.

@Adamw might be able to answer these questions better as he has more experience with EVOs than me.

Hi @Vaughan thank you for the reply and the advice.

i'll wire a resistor between pin 9 and 19 on the C-01 connector as i wouldn't be removing the dash harness.

On further review i may be out of inputs after i wire in both blinkers, hi beam, low beam, engine check light and the fuel level so i'll use 3 small LED bulbs instead.

Thank you!

Gerard

1 hour ago, evo_gerard said:

On further review i may be out of inputs after i wire in both blinkers, hi beam, low beam, engine check light and the fuel level so i'll use 3 small LED bulbs instead.

Check engine light can be sent from ecu to dash via CAN, no input needed. 

For the ACD mode lights I have never studied how those are triggered on the stock dash.  They could be as simple as 3 separate on/off signals, or it could be something more complex like serial or K-Line.  

For the fuel level you will need to add a pull-up resistor, see page 3 of this doc: https://www.aim-sportline.com/download/faqs/eng/hardware/sensors/mx_series/FAQ_Sensors_MXx12_StradaSpieIcone_100_eng.pdf

10 hours ago, evo_gerard said:

I was wondering if I could use pins 10, 14, 15 on the C-01 combination meter connector as the signals for the ACD status. 

Yep, it looks simple, connect these to AIM inputs if you have enough spare, turn the pull-up on in the aim software.

10 hours ago, evo_gerard said:

Jumping ahead here, what could be used to "slow down" the fuel reading when the fuel in the tank moves around.

There is a filter setting in the dash software for that, nothing special needed for the wiring.  

• 5 months later...

Hi guys, sorry to revive this tread but I did promise to report back with my findings. 

so for the battery light i used a 470 ohm .5 Watt resistor and it was successful. 

and i was able to wire the ACD modes to the analog channels of the dash. i setup 1 icon that changes colour when i change between the different mode.

my next step is to tackle the fuel level. i'm following the document that @Adamw posted above but i have one question. since the evo have  a main and a sub fuel gauge, do i measure the resistance of both and take an average or do i just measure at main sensor? 

1 hour ago, evo_gerard said:

do i measure the resistance of both and take an average or do i just measure at main sensor? 

The sensors are wired in series with just a single wire going back to the dash.  As far as I know both sensors are the same, so measure 1 and double it.