Aem Smart Coil Wrx v3-v4 Setup

ozzy

I have wrx v4. I had a very good deal on set of aem smart coils and upgraded to them. I dont know the base dwell table for these coils. Couldnt find anything on these coils regarding dwell times and spark duration. My setup g30-900 running 35psi on ej257 closed deck block with ngk r7434 racing spark plugs. You can see map and old setting that worked perfectly with ls2 coils. 

Thanks

image.png

image.png

e50.pclr

I have the spec sheet and i can google aem smart coils but i dont know how that is even remotely helpful in my situation. I have looked at all the different topics here or other forums related to these coils but i have no baseline to work with regarding these coils. Take my previous coils ls2 d585 as an example i had lot of similar spec cars even here on link forums so i knew what my dwell table should look like in this case i have no idea. 

Subtract 1.0ms from that whole dwell table that you have in your first post (click in grey cell at top left then type "-1" and hit enter), this would be right on what I would start with.  Rarely do these coils need more than about 3.0ms for typical applications, you can go right up to about 9ms when needed (ie 70+psi & methanol) but they are pulling 20A each at that and get very hot fast.  Use the minimum dwell you need to prevent misfire, any more is just making more heat and shortening life. 

The spark duration setting is irrelevent in most 4cyl applications, it only really comes into play with say a single coil on a v8 where you need to dwell & spark the same coil 8 times every cycle.  This setting is used so the ecu can shorten the dwell when there is not enough cycle time left for both full dwell and spark.