AEM classic wideband to G4X CAN?

Justin01

Hello,

I have a classic AEM uego wideband sensor and gauge (30-4110) already installed and working in my e36 BMW. I would like to get the wideband data into the LinkECU via CANbus, but not exactly sure how to get it there, or if I need the different AEM X-series kit?

Can I just use a CANF plug to the wideband CAN H/L, then CANPCB from that to the Link? Seems like I would need to splice into the harness from the wideband if I did that though.

Also, can I retain the AEM afr gauge?

Edit: I also found the Link CAN Lambda would be an option to eliminate the AEM stuff, but curious if I can re-use what I have first.

Thanks for any help.

You can use the current one via analogue input, but expect unreliable results.

The newer X-Series is better with the CANBUS connection, but a Link CAN Lambda module would be much better overall.

Then you can consider a CANBUS gauge if you still feel the need to see data, but you'll get more than just the lambda output.

14 hours ago, Adamw said:

Your gauge doesnt have CAN bus.  You will need something newer that has CAN.  If you want a gauge at the same time then the X-series would probably be the most cost effective option.

Ok thanks, that is what I was not sure of.

6 hours ago, Confused said:

You can use the current one via analogue input, but expect unreliable results.

The newer X-Series is better with the CANBUS connection, but a Link CAN Lambda module would be much better overall.

Then you can consider a CANBUS gauge if you still feel the need to see data, but you'll get more than just the lambda output.

Thanks for the info as well. I am leaning toward switching over to Link CAN Lambda, the gauge is not a big deal (see below for ultimate goal).

My ultimate goal is to get rid of all my older style gauges/sensors (oil temp/pressure, coolant temp, afr) and get the data into Link (I want to add fuel pressure as well). Then use an AIM dash for displaying and monitoring everything.

With that said, I think I will need:

• Link CAN Lambda
    • I think I need a CANPCB and CANF connector too?
  • 1x Link pressure sensor for fuel pressure (PS150)
  • 1x Link dual sensor for oil pressure/temp (CPTS)
  • 1x Expansion harness for sensors
  • Coolant temp - I'll just use the factory input and remove my gauge, sensor, wiring

Does that sound like a reasonable plan? Sorry for the scope creep on the topic, want to make sure I get everything right this time :)

Also, I found this topic after I posted, which was also helpful for my situation: