2jz VVti Trigger errors with Fury

duncan351

I have been running Link Fury flawlessly until recently with no trigger errors for a little of a year now. Then one day I took car out and made a pull and couldn't do it. I have read a ton of threads where people experience the exact same issue. Not sure exactly what's going on but I seek help of what to do to resolve this problem. I have replaced my trigger wheel with a Power House Racing Billet trigger wheel instead of the stock cast one as I have gone through a few of those. The last one had an edge chip off causing the trigger issues. I replaced it. Check Trigger scope and scope looked good to me. I have checked connections at ECU and Crank sensor plug (its  new plug and pins with brand new Toyota VVti crank sensor) I crank sensor voltage was reading very strong (19v) with the new PHR trigger wheel so I put a 10K resistor and the voltage was still too high even with filters turned all the way up. So I replace 10K resistor with a 20K and was able to lower my filter to level 2 and arming voltage was in the same range triggers were before all these problems started. I took car out last night and was able to make only two clean pulls. After that I have numerous scopes with the trigger errors which are occurring right near 5k rpms. I have analyzed these two scopes and they look clean to me but I'm new diagnosing trigger errors. Any suggestions? 

Tune:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_yKRdcBuEsbtzzF0NsYgqiJmayx2mhzP&authuser=0&usp=drive_link
Clean pull scope: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DZin6pwKAKF333GKMkVMsIHR0PZJ1CyG&authuser=0&usp=drive_link

Trigger Error Scope: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NGOcWKc8RYa792y6SE86csbathR-Xwha&authuser=0&usp=drive_link

All your drive links are restricted, you need to go back to the sharing settings and change it to something like "anyone with link". 

Im not sure where the advice that 19V was bad and add resistors to a trigger circuit, all that has done is reduced the SNR and noise rejection.  19V is normal for a VR crank sensor, it is not uncommon to see over 50V for high tooth count wheels at high RPM.  The filter should generally be on level 1 for a 36T wheel, I dont like level 2 on anything more than 24T as I have seen it filter out actual teeth before.  

Can you give us a PC log with a trigger error also.  

16 hours ago, Adamw said:

All your drive links are restricted, you need to go back to the sharing settings and change it to something like "anyone with link". 

Im not sure where the advice that 19V was bad and add resistors to a trigger circuit, all that has done is reduced the SNR and noise rejection.  19V is normal for a VR crank sensor, it is not uncommon to see over 50V for high tooth count wheels at high RPM.  The filter should generally be on level 1 for a 36T wheel, I dont like level 2 on anything more than 24T as I have seen it filter out actual teeth before.  

Can you give us a PC log with a trigger error also.  

Thanks Adam. I have updated the links so they are accessible now.  Upon closer inspection of the Power House Racing 2jz timing gear, the teeth are shaped a little differently. I'm concerned if this is a problem at the higher RPM's under the 1JZ VVti Trigger mode for the Link. Adam can you confirm if this might be a concern?  Here is a link to the crank trigger wheel where it is mated to see the slight shape difference between Stock timing belt crank gear and PHR's. 

https://www.powerhouseracing.com/product/6908/phr-one-piece-billet-timing-belt-drive-gear-for-2jz-gte-36-2-tooth-pickup-wheel

• 3 weeks later...

Coming back just to update thread. So my trigger errors turned out to be bad wiring joint in the crank signal wiring. During this time I also bought a genuine Toyota crank trigger wheel and installed it. No more errors and can rev to 9K again. No complete resolution on the PHR trigger wheel.