Evo 9 Intake Camshaft Position Sensor Error! Help!

4g63evo

I've an Evo 9 with a link G4+ that is experiencing an issue with the Intake LH cam position sensor. It will error count every second while idling and at higher rpms - 2.5k+. Signal is lost every second.

I've changed out the intake cam position sensor for a brand new one and the problem still persists. I've also inspected both cam position sensor trigger wheels and they're in their correct places.

What could be the problem?

Thanks for the quick response Adam. Being a noisy evo and having neighbours I had to do the logs during the day.

Please find attached logs with old and new cam sensors. Also attached is the ecu map

cam sensor error with new sensor.llg cam sensor error with old sensor.llg LINK G4 EVO TUNING MAP Jan 2023 cam sensor issue.pclr

Everything looks ok hardware wise, it just looks like it has never actually been set up, it still has the offset from our base map in there.  

Go to DI 1 settings and change the offset to 52.5ATDC, I suspect that will be all it needs.

i7aoeI9.png

Something else I noticed in your map -  When you saved the copy of your map that you attached above, the MAP sensor was reading 66kpa (wrong) where as the BAP was reading 103kpa (most likely correct). The RPM was zero at the same time so these two pressures should match when the engine is not running.  It may have just been a freak coincidence such as saving the map just at the exact same instant the engine stopped or something but it would pay to double check it is ok.  Check that the MAP matches the BAP at the next powerup with ignition on, engine off.  Also next time you run the engine, check again the MAP/BAP just shortly after you turn the engine off (could be something like a crimped vac hose keeping vacuum in it after shutdown).  

I've just set to 52.5 deg offset and it seems to be working well now! Thanks! Do the positions for the sensors look about right? I swapped the trigger wheel around the 2 possible positions for numerous times that I don't know if it's correct without taking the cover off. 

MAP & BAP are both 14.5psi when on but not started.

If you can please have a look at the vvt positions and confirm these figures are correct it'll be much appreciated. Car will then be going back to the tuner for more boost!! :)20230111_185832.thumb.jpg.25df29da4db4572d55fa8994952ae8c2.jpg

3 hours ago, 4g63evo said:

If you can please have a look at the vvt positions and confirm these figures are correct it'll be much appreciated. Car will then be going back to the tuner for more boost!! :)

Position doesnt matter, the offset tells the ecu where the teeth are meant to be.  

• 1 year later...

This post is about the VVT ofsett - basically all you are doing is making the ecu report the cam position as "zero" when it is resting at home.  There is no "stock offset" as there are so many stacked tolerances on every mechanical part that every engine will be different.  Most stock ecu's do a position-learn procedure during cranking when it is started the first time after a battery disconnect.     

Awesome- made more sense re-reading the manual after a coffee

Out of interest, what would be the real-world effect of keeping the offset at 40 and then tuning?

Would any value below 10 have zero effect on cam movement or would it limit the cam from using the last 10 degrees of advance?