Wide band lambda delay start

Home Built by Jeff

I have an issue where I am chewing through wide band sensors and I have had a bunch of suggestions that the start up could be delayed to prevent it. I think my Storm ECU has this function already, but I can't find if there is an adjustment in the software so I could delay it even further or make some other changes to make the sensors last longer. They are mounted in the exhaust either side at around a 45 degree angle from vertical so they can drain. Any other suggestions would be great.

I have attached my current base map.

Thanks,

Jeff

1-23 map.pclr

The Thunder uses the bosch wideband chipset and follows the full specified Bosch LSU4.9 heating cycle specifically designed to minimise condensate shock.  You can override it to make them turn on earlier for cold start etc but there is no setting to delay it further than recommended.  We could do it with a custom CAN message but Im not sure that is a good idea, running the engine with an unheated sensor is just as bad.

How do you know they have failed?  What error are they reporting?  

48 minutes ago, Adamw said:

The Thunder uses the bosch wideband chipset and follows the full specified Bosch LSU4.9 heating cycle specifically designed to minimise condensate shock.  You can override it to make them turn on earlier for cold start etc but there is no setting to delay it further than recommended.  We could do it with a custom CAN message but Im not sure that is a good idea, running the engine with an unheated sensor is just as bad.

How do you know they have failed?  What error are they reporting?  

They don't give any reading at all. After taking them out they make a tiny rattle noise, so I assume the ceramic inside has died. I don't remember getting any specific error from them though.

Set up ECU logging to log lambda 1/2 status, error, and temperature, that may give some clues whats going on, they should last a few years in typical road cars.  Its really only heavy limiters/launch control etc that normally gives them a hard time.  

41 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Set up ECU logging to log lambda 1/2 status, error, and temperature, that may give some clues whats going on, they should last a few years in typical road cars.  Its really only heavy limiters/launch control etc that normally gives them a hard time.  

Fair enough. The ones in the car now are new and are working fine. Next time if they stop working I will take a log and see if it tells me anything.

Thanks again Adam.

What im suggesting is to set up logging now before it fails so you can see if there are any clues in there - ie you may find the heaters are constantly resetting due to an inadequate or intermittent power supply, or the probe temp is running away due to an exhaust restriction etc.  .