Drive by wire modification

Sjogun

Planning on setting up drive by wire soon on my version 4 STi(link g4x4x).  I've noticed some kind of modification is required to allow DBW to work properly.  Anyone know what is involved,  and the procedure to get this done?  Is it a software, a firmware,  or a hardware charge?

I'm almost positive I read this ecu was capable of DBW when I bought it.  Guess I misunderstood..

The plug-in ECU's are made up of two main parts; the "top board" which is the the "brains" and has most of important electronics, then the "bottom board" which is basically an adapter to connect all the top board inputs and outputs to the factory connector as well as all the extra electronics that are needed to interface with various circuits that may be unique to the chassis.  

So in this case, the top board does actually have all the electronics on it to drive electronic throttle, but the bottom board is one of our older designs that doesnt give the user access to the specific DBW outputs. 

So two options:  1. The ecu can be returned to Link to have some flying leads added to make these outputs available.  2. You can wire in the external E-throttle module instead.   

Thanks for the reply.  Which option do you think is more cost effective?  I live in the US.   I've seen the external e throttle available for around $350.  What is the cost modification service?  Do any dealers in the US perform this modification?

Thanks again for the info Adam

The modification works out very similar cost wise, possibly a little cheaper depending on shipping.  I know some of our europe offices are set up to do this work  but I dont think our US office is yet doing this service, check with tech support.   The bonus with the modification compared to the external module is you will gain a couple of aux outputs and they will usually add a couple of extra analog inputs at the same time on ECU's that dont have a lot of spares.