m50tu pnp wrong ignition pulse

theo calvez 1jz

hello 

im trying to have some spark on my m50tub25 turbo 

1st i wanted to put some vag audir 8 coils (U5014)

i did the pull up resistor mod with 470ohm on the 5v with no luck 

i've found on the link forum that you needto do the same pull up resistor wiring but with the 12v for this coil so i did but no spark 

i've tried with some vq35de coil, pull up resistor with 5v and 470ohm and it works i had spark

so i get back with the vag coil 

i tried two types of wiring vag short coil and long coil as i didn't know what size i have 

now i m 100% sure they are long vag coils

image.thumb.jpeg.51150c7149513c22a2237cfdec4df7d0.jpeg

i tried back with vq35de coil and it get hot a lot 

i stopped the ignition test 

now i don't have spark with any of them

oem coil

vag coil 

vq35de coil 

i bought an osciloscope to check the signals 

i attach 2 pics 

the one with a signal that we can see is without pull up resistor it is the direct signal between the wire of the ecu and the engine ground spark edge : falling 

straight 0v and +1v pulse and -1v down (don't) know if it is good or no)

x axis 5ms/div

y axis 1v/div

image.thumb.jpeg.18bb6576608e957d872b196ca0771f81.jpeg

the one with the straight line at 5v is the signal between the same wire with a pull up resistor between 5v and this wire and saprk edge : rising 

iit keep straight no pulse up or down so no sark

x axis 5ms/div

y axis 1v/div

image.thumb.jpeg.6af9d78468d12569657d313fa7603a54.jpeg

i've attached the ecu file too

can you tell me what's wrong please ?

e36 mioche.pclx

That last picture still doesnt look right.  But I dont think it is a driver problem as how it drops to only 4V would be pretty impossible for a transistor to achieve - they will be either ground or open so we should see either the pull-up voltage or ground - we shouldnt see some odd voltage in between.  

Are you using standard oscilloscope probes?  Do your probes maybe have a 1X/10X switch on the side?

• 5 weeks later...

hello, i just received the fix ecu 

there were a burn damaged ignition GND pin 55 on the bottom board cause by excessive current.

but i still have no spark with vag coils 

i checked the wiring 1000 times 

i have checked the signal out of th ecu with the pull up resitor wired and the signal is the same as i put it in rising or falling spark edge ...

when the spark edge is in rising the ignition test is off the signal is flat at 0v 

when the spark edge is in rising the ignition test 2 on the signal is most of the time rising at 12v and a pulse at 0v 

when the spark edge is in falling the ignition test off the signal is flat at 12v

when the spark edge is in falling the ignition test 2 on the signal is most of the time rising at 12v and a pulse at 0v

is it normal ? 

i dont have spark in test mode 

i did not try to start 

ok i think i have found 

in test mode it does not work 

but when cranking the signal is different 

most of the time at 0v and a pulse at 12v 

so i will try to start without testing in test mode 

ok, engine is runing so to make this ecu work with vag coil (u5014) you need to do a pull up resistor like in the instructions that link gives you with the ecu except that you need to do it with the 12v and not the 5v 

after that set the spark edge in rising 

dont try to test it with the test page it will not work 

but when cranking yes it works 

my wiring was good since the beginning !

the coils were good too 

but i was only trying in test mode ... 

and finaly after a lot of things tried i've burn a pin ...

so the porblem is in the software of the ecu because he doesn't give the right signal in test mode

Yes test mode doesnt reference the spark edge as far as I know.  But it should not cause any issues with the ecu - the only current the ignition outputs have going through them in your case is the load from the pull-up resistor, 30mA at the most.  The coils will get hot, but not the ecu at all.     

i would love to show you the diffence of the signal in test mode and when crankink with same setting and wiring but i can't ad more pictures :/

i think you should modify this test mode to give us the good signal or at least tell us in the instruction to not try the test ingnition mode unless you have oem bmw coils 

yes i will not burn the ecu, that was my bad 100% but it is because i had not spark ( in test mode) and i tried some others wiring en software settings 

the good wiring for vag coil (u5014) is the wiring long/normal i've posted on the 1st post of this discution 

5 hours ago, theo calvez 1jz said:

i would love to show you the diffence of the signal in test mode and when crankink with same setting and wiring but i can't ad more pictures

I already know what a rising edge and falling edge ign signal looks like. 

5 hours ago, theo calvez 1jz said:

i think you should modify this test mode to give us the good signal or at least tell us in the instruction to not try the test ingnition mode unless you have oem bmw coils 

In test mode the rising/falling edge doesnt matter as we dont care about spark timing or dwell as we arent running an engine, all we are doing is sending a pulse to the coil to test the wiring or test if there is a spark.  You will still have a spark in test mode regardless of the test mode working with a rising edge or falling edge, regardless of OEM coil or non-OEM coil, the only difference with the inverted signal is the dwell time will be longer than normal so the coil will heat up if you leave it running in test mode for a long time.