Hold power with G4X FuryX and the razor PDM

craig903

Hi all,

Would anyone have a drawing or a description of how the hold power could be implemented when the razor PDM is used to supply all the power to the ecu and auxiliary systems? I've brought the PDM to get rid of relays so Ideally I don't want to use any conventional 4 pin relays. I've attached a picture of what I've come up with so far. I wont be using E-Throttle. Thanks

Kind regards

Craig

hold power wiring.png

I have just asked a couple of our smarter engineers if this will be ok as I dont understand the flyback circuit in the PDM well enough to answer confidently.  Im 99% sure it will be fine but I will confirm.  Probably will be tomorrow now as it was after knock-off time when I messaged them.    

10 hours ago, Adamw said:

I can confirm we all believe your proposed circuit is the way to do it and will function correctly.  

Thank you Adam and the team for confirming. One last thing would be if I decided that I needed the additional 25a output would I be able to transfer the supply to the 14v+ ecu which is supplied from high output 3 in the drawing to one of the Adio 8 amp pins? I would obviously have to move any solenoids etc to a separate Adio output to share the load. Would that be okay?

• 1 month later...

Craig903 did you receive confirmation if an 8amp pin could be used instead of a full 25amp? Doing a similar install, would be helpful to use one pin from power 3 for +14v and the other 12.5amp pin for another purpose.

• 1 month later...

The Ign Sw input is a safety thing so is purely hardware, no software involved in its function. It is high impedance though so only needs a couple of mA to activate.

In lowside drive mode the ecu aux outputs 1-16 are pulled up to 12V.  So just set the aux 9 active state to high and it will activate the PDM Ign sw input no drama.  

• 5 months later...

Instead of using wires to communicate 'Ignition Switch Status' and 'ECU Hold Power request' between the ECU and PDM can we send them over CAN bus and still implement ECU Hold Power? 
If the Ignition switch was wired directly into the PDM only (no diode, and no ECU Hold Power wire). Then the PDM would wake up with the Ignition switch and turn on the output to the ECU to power it on. As well it could send Ignition switch status over CAN bus to the ECU. In return the ECU would send its 'ECU Hold Power request' by CAN bus back to the PDM. Then when the ignition switch is turned off but ECU hold power remains asserted on the CAN bus, the PDM would stay on, and keep power applied to the output to the ECU. Once the ECU deactivates 'ECU Hold Power' via CAN bus, then the PDM powers down.
I don't know if the PDM software has the flexibility to do this yet?
If it's possible then that would save one input and one output on the ECU

Link ECU and PDM Hold Power using CAN bus.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2023 at 8:47 PM, Adamw said:

The Ign Sw input is a safety thing so is purely hardware, no software involved in its function. It is high impedance though so only needs a couple of mA to activate.

In lowside drive mode the ecu aux outputs 1-16 are pulled up to 12V.  So just set the aux 9 active state to high and it will activate the PDM Ign sw input no drama.  

I've been setting my XtremeX and Razor PDM up similarly to what's described at the top of the thread.  I first tried using Aux3 to provide power to the PDM's Ignition Switch input.  That didn't turn the PDM on.  When I measured the voltage of the connection it was about 2.5V.  I tried using Injector8 next and got the same result.

When I moved to Aux7 the PDM turned on as expected.  However much current the Razor draws from its ignition input, it appears to be more than the normal ECU outputs can provide.  You need to use one of the higher current ECU outputs -- Aux 5-10, I think? -- to turn on the Razor PDM.

Does that sound sane, or am I doing something wrong?