Adding extensions to PlugIn ECU

Timboj

Hi guys, my experience with using the G4X (N350X) to tune and handle my build requirements, and using the Link forum have been exemplary.

However I have to say that adding extension cables to the ECU has been some of the least enjoyable experiences I've had in modding my car. Having to make holes in the housing (and it's a damn fine housing) isn't ideal for an enthusiast but it's pretty daunting for a beginner/intermediate. You could make the argument that they should leave it to professionals, but it feels like such an unnecessary barrier to simply add a couple of cables.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DWpqdHGGKj1AxqqYGMTnfvYXwTQOeBxh/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KkV84g8P4ykfJpvmBVj-tPQhZo6kbDDs/view?usp=sharing

The job is made 10x worse because the housing cannot be fully separated from the circuit boards because the silicone hose that joins the nipple to the map sensor is glued.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Oj15iq00Te_4w5bz0iybnY5mQsYP5OKE/view?usp=sharing

Besides how precarious it is trying to work on the housing while it's still attached to the circuit boards, it doesn't matter what I've done to try and protect the important stuff (layers of plastic, cloth and mdf), I couldn't avoid getting metal shavings everywhere. It was at its worst when I had to use the die grinder to open up the existing hole I had to add a second extension cable. No amount of vacuuming and compressed air makes me feel like this is a safe way to treat an expensive piece of electronics.

If you could separate the housing this would be a non-issue, but the design Link landed on is infuriatingly confusing. I appreciate that most PlugIns utilise the OEM housing so getting the beefy aluminium housing is great but it feels like the end user experience wasn't considered when shipping this one.

Obviously I'm not after a fix (I've finally utilised all available expansions, including CAN) for my unit. I'm just hoping you can come up with a better solution for future PlugIn models. Pre-wired in connectors would be the ideal solution, but just making the vacuum hose detachable would make the world of difference.

Yeah I mentioned that in the second last paragraph, but I'll add my model to the title if you think it's going to confuse people. I realise this is a niche issue but it's an infuriating one that I'm hoping will be rectified for future models.

Edit: nm doesn't look like I can update the title.