R53 mini

beemn

Question:

The car has a tune, it doesn’t have any cats etc but it does have 2 sensors in the exhaust. I have just had to replace this section of the exhaust with a new one at the section, where the secondary sensor screws in it’s too long and is hard against the body of the car. The new exhaust came with blanking caps to delete the sensor…can I turn this sensor off and cap it or just keep it unplugged and blanked?

Thanks in  advance 

Thanks, if that’s the case I’m stoked. 

I tried to add a photo but it’s too large..but when I was trying to get the car started..stupid e85 (when it’s cold just doesn’t happen) but I recall seeing at the last race meeting when I had the laptop connected seeing AN 7&8 fluctuating when on and off the gas..mean anything, assuming it’s the 2x 02 sensors. It’s says NB Oxy (V) 0.03 and NB Oxy 2 (V)0.02.  I couldn’t get the car to start but have seen the numbers fluctuate 

The narrow band sensors are connected but unless you have a catalytic converter and need to meet emissions requirements they wont be used.

As for E85 cold start, ethanol has a very low vapour pressure, what that means is at low temperatures it produces very little vapour, it doesnt have the highly volatile components to create vapour that petrol does.  You need vaporised fuel for combustion, liquid fuel will not combust.   You can in theory get a little more vapour by just adding more liquid but you get to a point where that no longer helps or starts to even make matters worse.  I dont know the reason for that - whether it is a saturation thing or ignition difficulty or something else Im not sure.  

For acceptable cold start with E85 you need to generate as much vapour as you can.  The biggest problem I see is usually no consideration of the injector at all, many of the modified injectors have the diffuser plate completely cut off etc and flow more like a garden hose than a mist.  A few considerations; You need injectors with very good fine atomisation, the finer the droplet, the more surface area you have exposed to air.  A spray pattern suitable for the port - ie dual cone for 16V engines etc.  Smaller injectors at the highest pressure possible is better than larger injectors and normal pressure.  Injector timing should be moved later when cold so that the bulk of the injection occurs when intake port velocity is highest - EOI around 200BTDC.  In countries like Brazil where they use E100 in everything they actually use heated injectors to overcome this issue.