Using PDM to control DBW?

DerekAE86

Is it possible to utilize the Razor PDM to control a DBW setup on a ECU with insufficient IO and without getting the E-Throttle Module?

For example could I do this?

MonsoonX:
Aux1/2 = E Throttle out 1/2 (to PDM)
An1/2 = TPS1/2 in (from Throttle Body)

Razor PDM:
IO1/2 = APS1/2 in (from Pedal)
IO3/4 = E Throttle In 1/2 (from ECU)
PWR1/2 = E Throttle H-Bridge out (to Throttle Body)

That way the ECU can see the TPS directly and the PDM receives the E Throttle commands via analog and the only thing transmitted over CAN bus is the pedal position.

The PDM can control an E-Throttle directly but won't do any of the Main/Sub or Target/Actual safety comparisons so it's not recommended.

In terms of using two outputs from the Link to control it via the PDM you would have to set it up in the PDM to calculate the duty cycle and state of the two inputs and apply that to the output pins so there will be delay between the ECU outputs and the PDM responding to them which I suspect would cause massive headaches for PID tuning.

If you are using the PID loop in the PDM to control E-Throttle Position with the ECU sending it a target position you don't have the safety mechanisms, if you are using the E-Throttle PID loop in the ECU and sending the H-Bridge signals to the PDM you will have issues with PID tuning due to delays between requested motor power and when it is actually applied.

Best method is to use the External H-Bridge/E-Throttle driver (https://dealers.linkecu.com/G4RET) directly from the ECU Aux1&2 pins if you are wanting to control the actual throttle.

1 hour ago, koracing said:

Sounds like someone needs an Xtreme...

I am so glad I bought the Monsoon over the Atom. But at this stage I wish I just went straight for the top end model even though I wasn't going to use all those features at the time. So many cool things to play with hahaha