1999 Mazda MX-5 w/ ITBs. Street/Track Hybrid

This is Scooter, my 1999 NB Miata. Acquired in August 2017 as an OEM+ car that became an ITB learning project. Quad throttled since 2021 and used an MS3Pro for a while before making the leap to a Link G4X. I'm very grateful to KORacing for getting me up and running and answering all my questions. This is the best the car has felt in years.

The G4X ECU is setup to run modelled mode with MAP as the Load source and TPS on the Fuel, Ignition and Target tables. The MAP is jumpy but the car runs great. There are fuel pressure, oil pressure and oil temperature inputs with safeties looking after the engine. I've also played with Math channels, virtual outputs and CAN Auxes to setup custom functions such as virtual fuel tank resets, flood clear, knock CEL and an extra idle up when the second fan turns on. Some virtual outputs also feed the GP RPM Limits for AFR and Fuel Pressure safety. I've also played with Launch control and gear shift control. Both worked really well but mechanical sympathy doesn't let me use them often.

The engine runs sequential ignition with Toyota COPs and sequential injection with DW 550cc injectors. KORacing setup the injector deadtimes for me because the data I got from DW was far from correct. I intend to setup a Flex Fuel sensor and run modelled multi-fuel for the new-to-me VVT engine build.

The goal of Scooter is to be a fun fizzy street car with track capability. It competes in ABQ Super Lap once a month, and we will soon make the trek to Colorado for trackday at Grand Junction Motor Speedway during the Flyin' Miata Summer Camp. I'm excited to be part of the Link community and continue learning with this car and ECU.

Stockish power, 2250Lbs, 7500RPMs. Snorts for days.

IMG_4281.thumb.jpg.293b59c97b8781f231040bf668608825.jpg

IMG_5390.thumb.jpg.4ca6ce1c7b951e931d631c7017f43d8a.jpg

IMG_4386.thumb.jpg.52ddf43713d7acb1d29d17640b72bf81.jpg

IMG_5404.thumb.jpg.efcd19cd7beb65ad88ad75ff601b3eca.jpg

IMG_4320.thumb.JPG.6deddf284989d80dbfa6ca2c4e79b0b4.JPG

Current specs:

Electronics:
- Link G4X Plug-in ECU
    - Hybrid Alpha-N. Self-tuned
- CANChecked MFA 2.0 center gauge
- 14point7 Spartan 3 CAN wideband controller

Engine:
- Stock BP-4W
- 36-2 trigger wheel
- Fluidampr balancer
- DW550cc injectors to accomodate future flex fuel

Intake:
- 45mm Borla Induction Throttle Bodies
- Custom 60mm carbon fiber polycarbonate velocity stacks
- NB Miata idle valve

Exhaust:
- NB2 tubular headers
- Cobalt midpipe with catalyst
- Stock muffler with a cartoonish tip that the car had when I bought it

Cooling:
- Supermiata radiator
- FM coolant reroute
- 180F thermostat

Suspension:
- Xida Race coilovers 800/500 (14k/9k)
- R-type tie rods
- Sadfab bronze bearings
- Energy Suspension Poly bushings

Chassis:
- Paco motorsports strong arms
- FM butterfly brace V2
- Front strut bar
- Blackbird Fabworx GT3 Rollbar

Brakes:
- FM LBBK
- Centric blank rotors

Interior:
- Schroth 4-point ASM harnesses
- MPI Mazda Cup steering wheel
- NRG Keyway type quick-release
- Carbon fiber Lotus Exige Replica seats

This past weekend was Flyin' Miata Summer Camp, and part of the event was a trackday at Grand Junction Motor Speedway. I drove the car over 900 miles round trip and snatched 10th place out of 32 cars which I'm very happy with. Something is up with my tank getting pressurized though. It got a little unhappy at 11,000+ft of altitude a couple of times.

5 hours ago, DerekAE86 said:

I like your 3d printed trumpets. Did you try printing up a bunch of them to test how different lengths and shapes change your power band?

Thanks! I tried a set of 35mm that came with the ITBs, and these 60s. Keith Tanner did testing with the TWM throttle bodies on a BP years ago and found that taller stacks were overall better in this engine. Since I don’t have a dyno easily available I just went with the longest I could fit. There was a big increase to the VE table with the 60mm trumpets between 4400 and 6500 rpm. The VE then drops off a cliff after 7000rpm which I guess is expected. The longer stacks also sound more snorty at part throttle which I was very happy for. After talking with Keith this weekend, I’m going to try and design a set of twisted stacks BMW style.

AN Volt 8 is the OE fuel tank pressure sensor, some experimentation could give you a couple points to roughly scale it, and you can monitor any changes you make the the fuel tank vent. But if I had to guess, your exhaust is heating it up, common in tracked miatas, especially if there's any exhaust leak back there.

That's part of what I love about the link, they give you a clear pinout, and utilize any and all factory sensors that are wired to the header.

• 3 months later...