aem x-series and can bus

Adamchong

hey

i have been currently setting up a monsoon x. I have decided to run my wideband and oil pressure into the ecu via can. i have them both setup how i have been able to find wideband via help file and oil pressure from a forum post by adam. both are x series gauges.

current issue is when i have both plugged in i get no data at all. if i plug in just the  wideband it works like it should i plug in the oil pressure and wideband goes to zero and i get no info from can. did i mess something up?  

Screenshot 2023-06-07 143243.png

Screenshot 2023-06-07 143412.png

Thank you. I’ll give that a try and see if it makes it show both instead of neither. 

So that was definatly a wrong ID on my behalf. But with that being said when I connect the oil pressure to the CAN system I stop receiving the wideband data. If its not plugged in the wideband data comes through. Just oil pressure connected I get no data. Not sure what I can post to help find the issue but will post anything needed

It sounds like a wiring issue - like CAN L/H are swapped or something.  Do you have the same DTM 4 connector for both?  Does the same thing happen if you plug the oil press gauge into the lambda plug?  

What CAN errors are showing in the runtimes?

No I do not have a dtm 4 I have a dtm2 on them. Wide band works in both and oil pressure creates the same issue and doesn’t get received regardless which of my 2 CAN branches. I will double check wiring but from what I can figure it would have to be from gauge to can that’s the issue as wideband is received on both. 

as for CAN errors in the runtimes I don’t recall seeing any. Gonna go through the wiring and make sure everything is right correct any problems and hopefully it’s all solved. 

18 minutes ago, koracing said:

Is there a terminating resistor at the end of the bus?  Sometimes one device will work without it, but you add a second one and you really need that terminating resistor.

Yes. I think adam is right I probly switched a wire around somewhere. Gonna test and find out right away here. 

update:

Thanks everyone for the help definatly solved a problem that would have came up with the ID. Turns out wiring issue gauge side. i guess the wire had a small break in it as i got no continuity through it changed it out. works appears my calibration is off as gauge shows 16 psi(doesnt do kpa) but reads maxxed. 

i think I’m just trying to monitor the wrong parameter. I had chose oil pressure kpa. Then I loaded CAN an1 - oil pressure and everything seems right as it says 112 which translates to the 16 the gauge shows. Also could just be a sensor that’s dying as the stupid brass 150psi sensors seem to die quite a bit. 

2 hours ago, Adamchong said:

Thanks everyone for the help definatly solved a problem that would have came up with the ID. Turns out wiring issue gauge side. i guess the wire had a small break in it as i got no continuity through it changed it out.

I dont think a disconnection would cause the lambda not to work though, I think it would have had to be connected in reverse to cause a "bus off" error.  

Im not sure I had no continuity and after i fixed that it all worked like it should i changed the wire from the gauge to the dtm connector so maybe they were backwards as well. regardless i do appreciate you helping me get on the right path to troubleshoot

On 6/7/2023 at 6:36 PM, Adamchong said:

update:

Thanks everyone for the help definatly solved a problem that would have came up with the ID. Turns out wiring issue gauge side. i guess the wire had a small break in it as i got no continuity through it changed it out. works appears my calibration is off as gauge shows 16 psi(doesnt do kpa) but reads maxxed. 

i think I’m just trying to monitor the wrong parameter. I had chose oil pressure kpa. Then I loaded CAN an1 - oil pressure and everything seems right as it says 112 which translates to the 16 the gauge shows. Also could just be a sensor that’s dying as the stupid brass 150psi sensors seem to die quite a bit. 

What voltage are you seeing reported by the sensor when it's showing 112kpa?  Is it perhaps an absolute sensor and not a gauge type sensor?

On 6/12/2023 at 9:38 AM, koracing said:

What voltage are you seeing reported by the sensor when it's showing 112kpa?  Is it perhaps an absolute sensor and not a gauge type sensor?

I’m not sure it’s a brass aem 150psi sensor. The 112 is what the gauge sends over can bus. It doesn’t say kpa 

In the runtime values it’s says 

CAN An 1   112.000

I don’t see it transmitted anywhere as a voltage 

man’s where I have input as oil pressure coming in on CAN it shows

oil pressure (kpa) 6555.5

so I’m not sure if it’s just the wrong data but when I’ve done kpa to psi with just the bare number that’s being received from the gauge over CAN it matches what the gauge says. 

Yeah my bad - I would guess that as it's being transmitted over CAN it's not going to be transmitting a raw voltage value.  It may be possible to modify the CAN input divider to get it to show the same value it's transmitting.  When it is at 112 on the runtime is that with engine off (theoretically zero oil pressure) or idling?  What do you have the Oil pressure input in the analog inputs set to?

I have the analog input set to can an 1. 
I have finally got the car started and yes the 112 was cad off and just what the gauge was sending. It all seems to match up just assuming that the 112kpa that is coming over can is correct. Matched up with the gauge when I had it running. Will check the log and see what the oil pressure is actually saying but I assume since it’s being fed the information from the gauge it’s not a raw voltage over can. 

With the engine off - you should have zero oil pressure - so it sounds like it's reading an absolute sensor.  You may want to verify with a mechanical gauge or read the numbers on the sensor itself if are there any scribed into it to identify the sensor part number.

• 5 months later...

@Adamchong I have a customer with this same setup I'm remote tuning - AEM X-series wideband and AEM X-Series oil pressure gauge.  The oil pressure isn't coming across on the CAN, however.  Wideband is working just fine.  Would you mind sharing your tune file so I can compare the settings?  What did you use as the Oil pressure calibration value - none?

Source: CAN An 1
Error Value: 0.0kpa
Calibration: none

In the stream I have it coming on with these settings:
CAN Module 1
MODE: User Defined
Bit Rate: 500kbit/s
Channel 2: Recieve user stream 2
ID: 656135
Format: Extended

Stream 2:
Frame 1:
CAN AN 1 - Oil Pressure
Start Position: 0
Width: 16
Byte Order: MS First
Type: Unsigned
multiplier: 1
Divider: 1
offset: 0

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

If there any way you guys can do a wiring diagram on how to connect the wideband oil and boost x series gauges? I don’t know if the boost should be connected to the can bus system. Much appreciated the help guys. I already have everything for the wiring like the 120 ohm resistors.