Thunder to Creative Werks PWM motor speed controller

cole watson

Hi,

I have been looking into this PWM DC Motor controller from CWI for use as a Fuel pump speed controller.

https://creativewerksinc.com/product/pwm-controller/

The unit seems to be geared more toward cooling fans but should have no problem running a fuel pump.

I will be aiming to use the unit for open loop fuel pump control.

I have an RX8 With 1JZGTE engine and a Thunder ECU. the fuel system consists of a JDL intank surge tank, DW255 lift pump and TI Automotive 470lph High pressure pump feeding 6X Siemens 875cc injectors and Turbosmart FPR1200 regulator with fuel pressure and temp sensors.

Has anyone used this CWI unit before?

When setting the unit it asks for an input frequency whereas the link uses DC%. Is there a conversion for this?

I had previously been looking at using the FOMOCO/Jag controller, Would there be much of an advantage using the CWI unit? Or is there any alternatives on the market now?

Or, I will likely run an AiM PDM32, will the PDM be up to the task of Open loop control negating the need for this all together?

Cheers

51 minutes ago, cole watson said:

When setting the unit it asks for an input frequency whereas the link uses DC%. Is there a conversion for this?

It reads like you have to tell it the fixed frequency of the input signal but that it will still use the Duty Cycle of the input signal as the percentage of output.

52 minutes ago, cole watson said:

Or, I will likely run an AiM PDM32, will the PDM be up to the task of Open loop control negating the need for this all together?

If the PDM can supply the required current and is PWM capable then you could just use that.

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

It reads like you have to tell it the fixed frequency of the input signal but that it will still use the Duty Cycle of the input signal as the percentage of output.

Thanks Vaughan, Yeah, I assume Link sends like 100hz or so and it steps up to 1khz - 14khz 

I emailed them, and if I can give them the info they can preconfigure to work. 

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

If the PDM can supply the required current and is PWM capable then you could just use that.

I guess I could set one of the half bridge outputs to 1khz PWM and locic to injDC% but that would make the pump controlled by the PDM and not the ecu.

7 minutes ago, cole watson said:

I guess I could set one of the half bridge outputs to 1khz PWM and locic to injDC% but that would make the pump controlled by the PDM and not the ecu.

depending on how configurable the Aim CAN is you could send it the requested fuel pump speed from the ECU over CAN.

Not really looking promising for PDM control. Best i could figure out would be 8 speed levels.

Now I really just need to figure out what frequency the Thunder runs with open loop

I see its 80Hz for 3 stage, but not selectable for open loop in G4+ like it is in G4X/G5

Would a Motec DHB or something work in this situation?

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

G4+ layout is a little different to G4X

Capture.PNG

*Hangs head in shame*

I see my mistake now. The Sample file I was using had FP on AUX14 so I changed to FPSpeed.

AUX14 can't do open loop so had no option for frequency. 

Thanks Vaughan, we got there in the end.