Ignition

charlesbw

Recently updated an 80 Porsche 911 to a COP system including G4X and two lead coils with an ignitor in between. The new motor has ~ 1200 miles on it and I have gone through two sets of coils(2x6), two sets of ignitors(2x2).  Is there a setting I have missed in the G4X or am I experiencing defective manufacture and/or dodgy hardware?  The coils are generic F6T570 and the ignitors are Vaico V24-70-0027.

On 2/16/2024 at 6:54 AM, marches said:

Recently updated an 80 Porsche 911 to a COP system including G4X and two lead coils with an ignitor in between. The new motor has ~ 1200 miles on it and I have gone through two sets of coils(2x6), two sets of ignitors(2x2).  Is there a setting I have missed in the G4X or am I experiencing defective manufacture and/or dodgy hardware?  The coils are generic F6T570 and the ignitors are Vaico V24-70-0027.

Are you using dwell times appropriate for the coils and igniters? Are you the igniters bolted to heatsinks? How does the failure present itself, melted plastic and deformation or just simply stops working but no visible change?

• 5 months later...

No deformation or melting related to heat.  One mile a coil may begin to drop out then a few more miles down the road it just stops working, I see infinite resistance between the two contacts of the bad coils.  A fresh coil always remedies the problem ( until the next time. )

Is there any way one can get stats/data from any parameters available via log files that might show injector and/or coil failures at runtime?  Not sure why, but it seems cylinder 2 and 5 ( 911 3.0 motor ) seem to fail more often.  There were a number of issues within the Injector and COP harnesses that have been sorted out.  A few missing crimps, two wires attached to the same terminal where one wire was the full set of strands and its companion wire hanging on by but two or three strands. I think the harness is now in goos order is no longer an issue so am turning my attention to component failures.  RE dwell, this has been setup according to the supplier of the kit and cross referenced with others using a similar COP.  As always, thanks a million Vaughn and company!!

3 hours ago, marches said:

Is there any way one can get stats/data from any parameters available via log files that might show injector and/or coil failures at runtime?

Rough engine RPM trace or suddenly being lean would be things to look for when trying to determine exactly when it failed in the log. Might also be worth keeping an eye on the dwell time value as that is the measured time of how long it dwelled the coil not the requested time

5 hours ago, marches said:

No deformation or melting related to heat.  One mile a coil may begin to drop out then a few more miles down the road it just stops working, I see infinite resistance between the two contacts of the bad coils.  A fresh coil always remedies the problem ( until the next time. )

I would probably recommend trying to find some genuine coils (even 2nd hand ones) rather than generic equivalents as I have experienced generic coils dying randomly more than once.