closed loop boost control question

Nils Ivarsson

Read through the manual several times understand most of it. But on thing i don`t understand is how do they get 240kpa (2,4 bar) in the setup guide, i am going to run 200 kpa (2,0 bar) myself. Can someone explain this to me Setup Guide This topic is a step by step guide for setting up closed loop boost control system to run up to 240kPa of absolute boost pressure. 1. Turn on closed loop boost control. 2. Set the RPM and MAP activation points. Typically 2000RPM and 80kPa. 3. Set the Proportional, Integral and Derivative Gain to 0. 4. Set Max %DC Clamp to 90%. 5. Set Integral Clamp +/- to 15%. 6. Set the Stage 1 Duty Cycle to 90%. 7. Set Stage 2 ON to 50kPa 8. Set Stage 3 ON to 15kPa 9. Set Stage 3 Hysteresis to 10kPa 10. Set Stage 3 ON Delay to 0.5s 11. Zero ECT, IAT and Gear Target Trim tables. 12. Zero Gear and ECT Waste-gate Trim tables. 13. Set IAT Waste-gate Trim tables to remove some duty cycle when cold. E.g. -12%DC @ 0 degrees, -8% @ 10, -6% @ 20, -4% @ 30, -2% @ 40 and 0 @ 50. 14. Configure your Boost Target Table as a 2D table with RPM on the X-Axis. Set all of the cells to 180. 15. Configure your Waste-gate %DC Table 1 as a 3D table with RPM on the X-Axis and Boost Target on the Y-Axis. The Boost Target axis numbers must range over the variations in boost targets required. E.g. 180, 200 and 220kPa. See Fig 1. 16. Run the engine and tune the row in the Waste-gate %DC Table 1 relating to a target of 180kPa. Adjust the duty cycle numbers in this row to achieve 180kPa of boost pressure across the RPM range. 17. Increase all of the values in the Boost Target Table to 200. 18. Tune the row in the Waste-gate %DC Table 1 relating to a target of 200kPa. Adjust the duty cycle numbers in this row to achieve 200kPa of boost pressure across the RPM range. 19. Repeat steps 14 and 15 for 220kPa. (Hint: If the engine was already running open loop boost control, existing numbers could be used in the appropriate row.) 20. You will now be able to adjust the Boost Target Table values to anything between 180 and 220kPa and find the engine runs boost pressures close to the specified target. 21. Closed loop control can now be enabled. Apply very weak PID settings. P = 0.2, I = 0.1 and D = 0. 1. 22. Test control at different targets, see how closely the actual boost pressure follows the target pressure. 23. Adjust PID numbers and stage activation pressures to optimize control. Check for Close Loop Boost Control topic for hints on adjusting different parameters.

cleaned up text Read through the manual several times understand most of it. But on thing i don`t understand is how do they get 240kpa (2,4 bar) in the setup guide, i am going to run 200 kpa (2,0 bar) myself. Where does the 240kpa entering in the guide. Can someone explain this to me Setup Guide This topic is a step by step guide for setting up closed loop boost control system to run up to 240kPa of absolute boost pressure. 1. Turn on closed loop boost control. 2. Set the RPM and MAP activation points. Typically 2000RPM and 80kPa. 3. Set the Proportional, Integral and Derivative Gain to 0 4. Set Max %DC Clamp to 90%. 5. Set Integral Clamp +/- to 15%. 6. Set the Stage 1 Duty Cycle to 90% 7. Set Stage 2 ON to 50kPa 8. Set Stage 3 ON to 15kPa 9. Set Stage 3 Hysteresis to 10kPa 10. Set Stage 3 ON Delay to 0.5s 11. Zero ECT, IAT and Gear Target Trim tables. 12. Zero Gear and ECT Waste-gate Trim tables. 13. Set IAT Waste-gate Trim tables to remove some duty cycle when cold. E.g. -12%DC @ 0 degrees, -8% @ 10, -6% @ 20, -4% @ 30, -2% @ 40 and 0 @ 50. 14. Configure your Boost Target Table as a 2D table with RPM on the X-Axis. Set all of the cells to 180. 15. Configure your Waste-gate %DC Table 1 as a 3D table with RPM on the X-Axis and Boost Target on the Y-Axis. The Boost Target axis numbers must range over the variations in boost targets required. E.g. 180, 200 and 220kPa. See Fig 1. 16. Run the engine and tune the row in the Waste-gate %DC Table 1 relating to a target of 180kPa. Adjust the duty cycle numbers in this row to achieve 180kPa of boost pressure across the RPM range. 17. Increase all of the values in the Boost Target Table to 200. 18. Tune the row in the Waste-gate %DC Table 1 relating to a target of 200kPa. Adjust the duty cycle numbers in this row to achieve 200kPa of boost pressure across the RPM range. 19. Repeat steps 14 and 15 for 220kPa. (Hint: If the engine was already running open loop boost control, existing numbers could be used in the appropriate row.) 20. You will now be able to adjust the Boost Target Table values to anything between 180 and 220kPa and find the engine runs boost pressures close to the specified target. 21. Closed loop control can now be enabled. Apply very weak PID settings. P = 0.2, I = 0.1 and D = 0. 1. 22. Test control at different targets, see how closely the actual boost pressure follows the target pressure. 23. Adjust PID numbers and stage activation pressures to optimize control. Check for Close Loop Boost Control topic for hints on adjusting different parameters.

Good morning,

The setup guide is incorrect, it only gives advice for setting up to a boost level of 220 kPa. To get the wastegate table setup for 240 kPa the process would be the same as for the previous rows.

Apologies for the confusion, I will edit the setup guide so next time it is published it will be correct. Thanks for pointing out the issue.

Scott