g4 storm launch control

Mark Adams

Hi, i need help setting up the launch control on my g4+ storm. What do i need for it? can some put it into idiots terms for me :\

vehicle is an st205 celica 1994 jdm model.

I have managed to wire in the ecu and get the engine running. It now has a map and is running well, so i got something right. tuner recommends a few added extras. inlet air temp, knock sensor, lc1 wideband 02 etc

thanks in advance

Hi Mark,

Your tuners advice is good, those extras will help with protecting the engine.

Before doing this make sure the engine is safely tuned for normal operation. Also note that this advice is given as a general guideline, you will need to adjust some settings specific to your engine and setup.

Here is how you would setup the most basic of the launch control setup modes.

1. Make sure you have a clutch switch wired to a digital input channel and that the ECU can see the change in state when the clutch pedal is pressed.

2. Go to ECU Settings > Motorsport > Launch Control. Set the Launch Mode to 'Single Launch RPM'.

3. Set the rest of the settings up as follows:

Activation Control: Select the digital input channel your clutch switch is wired to.

Arming time: Set this to an amount of time longer than it takes you to do a gear change (3.0s?)

Fuel Trim Table: Leave it off for now.

Launch RPM: Set the engine speed you want the ECU to limit the engine to when launch control is active.

Ign Retard Adjust Mode: Set this to Single Zone

Ign Retard Mode: Set this to Degrees Absolute

Ign Trim Activation: Set this to 85%

Ign Trim Activation: Set this at less than the Launch RPM you specified earlier.

Launch Ign Trim: Set this to 20 degrees. This will help build boost (and heat!) If things get too hot adjust towards zero.

Launch Limit Mode: Set this to Ign % cut

This will give you a basic starting point. When you set your Launch RPM start low, get familiar with the effect of the other settings and then work your way up to where you ideally want to be. There is potential for engine damage, so make sure you read the help topics on launch control completely and understand them. If you are uncertain either ask a question here or get in touch with your local tuner.

In terms of operation, put your foot on the clutch, hold it there for longer than the time specified for the 'Arming Time' setting. Keep your foot on the clutch. Increase throttle position, engine RPM will begin to climb, once the engine speed and throttle position are past the points you specified the ECU will start retarding the ignition angle. The engine RPM will continue to climb, once it has passed the 'Launch RPM' level the ECU will start cutting ignition events in an attempt to hold the engine speed at the level you have specified. Once you are ready to take off let the clutch out.

In this mode the ECU will only hold the engine speed to one RPM level. If your vehicle inputs non driven wheel speed to the ECU then you are able to use '2D Launch RPM Mode' in which you specify the allowed engine speed for a certain wheel speed. This enables the ECU to increase the RPM limit as the vehicle speed increases.

Scott

• 3 years later...

hey guys excuse me for jump starting an old thread but I'm curious as to the IGN retard mode and value suggested above as it doesn't seem to agree with the logic in my head (which is usually the incorrect part!) 

my understanding was that the safest starting point was to set the IGN retard mode to 'degrees' and set the value to 0* so that there is no antilag effect as such, then start introducing retard, perhaps in 5* increments to begin with, until either temps reach a safe limit or the boost target is met. 

the above suggested method of jumping straight to an absolute value of 20* seems like [potentially] an awful lot of timing retard if say the tuned map at the chosen RPM is 40* to begin with

any help for my brain here would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Tim

6 hours ago, CMSport said:

the above suggested method of jumping straight to an absolute value of 20* seems like [potentially] an awful lot of timing retard if say the tuned map at the chosen RPM is 40* to begin with

any help for my brain here would be greatly appreciated

I think Scotts comment above should probably have said "-20", not 20 (+20 would be 20BTDC).

Its pretty common to see more than -20deg retard (absolute) so Scott probably thought that was a reasonable starting point to suggest.  20-40ATDC is what I see in most maps I look at from other users/tuners etc.

By all means it is fine to start off more conservative than that.  I find it easier to use the absolute mode rather than degrees as then the main ignition table and other trims dont have an influence as boost starts to build etc.