Cam sensor for a Mitsubishi 380 (COP Ignition)

Dean Newman

Hey guys,

There have been a couple of Link G4 Extreme ECU's fitted to Mitsubishi 380's now, I have a Verada with a 3.8 engine and will soon be purchasing a Link G4Plus Extreme and ditching the distributor for the COP setup. The question I have is will I have to run an external cam sensor like johnk did, or will the stock sensor work on the newer G4Plus?

I have a mate running an Adaptronic which is able to run the stock sensor, hence the question. If not available, would it be possible to get support added if I was to get the specs/output of the sensor?

Hi Dean,

Unfortunately johnk didn't reveal a whole lot about how he got the system working in the end. I have a wiring diagram for the 380, but it does not tell me anything like how many teeth the cam sensor has. If you are able to provide me with details on the crank and cam tooth patterns then I can tell you if it matches one of our mods that already exists. 

If you could scope the cam sensors and the crank sensor and sent us a screenshot that would be very useful.

Cheers,

Scott

John used this setup: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/380gtaddnlcamsensorfron.jpg/ (this was done by the installer, im hoping to use a stock sensor) -

This is what Adaptronic had Perry do with the cam sensor, grind 3/4 teeth off so only one tooth remained. http://www.adaptronic.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=5262.0 

Would this be an option with the Link?

Hi Dean,

I had a look at the adaptronic thread, and it looks like if you changed the cam wheel to have one tooth you would able to run on a Link ECU fine.

The crank (trigger 1) is multitooth missing (36-2), and if you left just one skinny tooth on the cam you would be able to use Trigger 2 sync mode of 'Cam Pulse 1x'.

As mentioned in the adaptronic thread, this will not work with any form of variable valve timing.

Cheers,

Scott

• 8 years later...
Hi
Now I use crank trigger and sensor from mitsubishi gto / 3000gt and 1 pin on cam. But can not select gto in the trigger settings. Since I have 1 pin on cam. Which setup should I put it on the crank. offset? Since I do not see the settings in depth on the gto settings.

The settings below will likely be close.  Only the "Sync position" is unknown.  You will just have to try it on the 6 possible cylinders to see which one gets the spark at the right place.  Yes this trigger is capable of sequential.