resitors for low impedance injectors

mark brown

hi, i have just had a read through the manual for my lemg3 wire in ecu and on page 35 it says... if the injector impedance is less than 2 ohms, use 2r2(2.2 ohm) ballast if the injector impedance is between 2 and 6 ohms, use 4r7(4.7 Ohm) ballast if the injector impedance is greater than 6 Ohms, use no ballast. in theory you need to get the resistance above 6 ohms to not burn out the injector drives (transistors) but i have 444cc injectors from a r32 gtr and the impedance is 1.5 ohms, so according to the manual i have to run 2r2(2.2 ohm) ballast therefore 3.7 overall. is there a mistake in the manual or have i just got a miss understanding. also using 10w resistors from www.jaycar.co.nz will they be fine? thanks, Mark

Hi Mark

Ballasting is to control the current.

High impedance injectors do not require the current to open them that low impedance ones do.

As a rule of thumb the lower the impedance of an injector the more current require to open them.

Hence a lower ballast value for injectors under 2ohms.

For ballast resistors on 1.5 ohm injectors you will need 50 Watt 2r2s