sohc vs dohc Cam sensors (subaru)

Steven Reff

I currently have an LPv10 03/07/02 and I got it from a buddy who was running it on his 2.5RS. Now I am wondering if I have to change something for it to read the different cam sensor on the dohc heads since it is two small cam gears spinning instead of one large. If that makes sense. Also is there a firmware upgrade available for this unit? I looked in support but it only had the G2/G3 listed. Thanks any help would be appreciated. Stevn L Reff II

It will probably depend on the age of the motors.  If they are of the same era then chances are the sensor arrangement will be the same.  Easiest way is to forget what it used to do and give me the approx year and engine code of your quad cam motor and all the information you can find written on the sub-board in the ECU (small circuit board fitted above the main one).  There is an upgrade to V14 available but it is in the form of sending the ECU back so the chip can be changed.  The upgrade is minimal, mainly a bug fix for launch control.

I guess what I was trying to ask was not if the sensors are the same, but I had heard that there were different boards for SOHC and DOHC. Since the smaller cam on a DOHC setup spins twice as fast as the SOHC cam sensor it would give a false reading. I could be way off base, but I wanted to cover my bases before I started wiring her up. Thanks for all the help. Oh also the motor is a 96 JDM wrx 2.0L and the vehicle it is going into is a MY99 impreza 2.5RS. I will crack open the Link Plus case thursday and get you the numbers you require. Steven L Reff II

Yeah, get me those numbers...  Note that the cams spin at the same speed in both motors, but it is the position of the pickup teeth on them that matters. Anyways, now that we know what engine you are running, those numbers will instantly tell us if the ECU is setup correctly...