V8 Altezza conversion

Simon Chick

Errrr, umm, excuse my ignorance, but do you mean a V8 (as in 8 cylinders) Altezza that has been converted from a smaller engine or do you mean a Version 8 (if such a thing exists).  What engine are you running?  Does it have full variable valve timing or electronic throttle?  If it is just a toyata/lexus V8 conversion, then the LEM G3 will be a perfect ECU either standalone or piggy back.  Why does it need to run piggy back?  Is the factory ECU doing transmission control?

Sorry! To clarify, I'm putting a V8 Lexus 1UZ-FE approx '99 in to an Altezza 6 speed Beams '98 model. With factory ECU it appears to run brake light/air conditioning/ABS etc, but need availablility of a wiring to link up to Link G3, or wiring diagram. Can the system run without factory ECU? Basically the book that comes with the G3 doesn't show you how to wire it up to the V8 engine.

The G3 manual providesnearly all information you need to wire your engine.  Additional wiring of crank angle sensors and coils can be found on the website.  You will be hard pressed to find a pre-drawn wiring diagram for your exact engine.  Most people have to peel back the plastic covers and wiring loom to see where everything goes to do the wire-in job.  It is better to build your own new loom right out to the sensors and actuators rather than join on to a chopped off loom.  If you are unsure of the wiring install, I suggest you fit one of the WireLink prebuilt 1UZFE looms.  The ultimate success of you install is highly dependant on the wiring job.  You will need to determine for sure what the factory ECU controls and what inputs it requires to not go into a fault mode.  Air con can be run from the G3 (unless the ECU is performing an unusual control function), brake light is usually an input (especially if it controls ABS).  ABS is not typically controlled by the engine management ECU.  A factory ECU pinout will give a good indication of what is being controlled.  I would recommend fitting the G3 completely standalone to run the engine.  If you keep the factory ECU to run other stuff you will have to give it the inputs (and maybe outputs) it requires to not go into fault mode.  I think some more research is required...

• 4 weeks later...

Do not connect the cold start injector, the G3 has special provision to take care of this injectors function.  Not sure what fuel pressure solenoid you mean.  If it is a pressure regulator bipass solenoid, then it could be hooked up as a GP output that switches at 400 RPM (basically gives regulated fuel pressure once the engine is running).  Otherwise, most people would not run that solenoid.