Temp sensor troubles? vdo 50-150 323-18ohms?

Daniel Burgess1436215411

Hello

I have a g4 storm for my Subaru and ecu mounted in oem location   wanting to set up and oil temp sensor in the sump  have had problems with 2 of the sensors I have been trying to use

the way it is set up is   an volt 1 with pull up resistor wired into 5v then to pin on sensor

1st was a sensor sold with my link  the calibration table wasn't very close at all and as temperature changed it started to go  way off again as I have have an autometer mechanical temp gauge plumed in right next to link sensor in my sump   the calibration table I used was supplied from the link dealer I got it from    I believe this sensor was damaged so replaced with

the second sensor is a vdo  sensor 50-150C   323-18ohm   I tried this set up the same way and just the signal wire back to ecu as grounds through sump   and sensor is still out all over the place 

the main reason I have the sensor is so I have set a cold temp rpm limit and then also shut it down when it gets to hot 

Am I doing something wrong in set up ?  does this sensor need the pull up resistor?    the wiring is also been added to over the original loom length so I can get the wiring across top of motor and down past uppipe and under the the rh side of sump

Hi Daniel,

What value pull-up resistor are you using?

You can find the reference for wiring an NTC temp sensor in the PCLink help under PCLink Help > Wiring Information > Input Signal Wiring > Analog Inputs > Using voltage channels with NTC sensors.

You do need the pull-up resistor if you are using the An Volt channel for a  temp sensor.

You need to configure the An Volt channel to GP Temp (Ext Pullup) and then select the Cal table you want to use. You then need to enter the relevant information into the Calibration table.

Cheers,

Scott

Hi Daniel,

If my math is right your sensor should be reading 475.5 ohms at 0 degrees C. Given the numbers you have I would try the following.

I would set the Cal table to start at 0 degrees, and have the table increment in steps of 10 degrees. This will give you zero to 150 degrees.

Set the first cell to 476 and the last cell to 18. Select all the cells (use the shift button + arrows), right click and select interpolate horizontal.

This will give you the range you require.

Cheers,

Scott