Can't get my untuned car to start in the cold...help

Grayguy

ok, so I had my Legacy running on a stock WRX map, but didn't get it tuned before it got cold. I have 810cc injectors, so I know they need to be scaled back A LOT, but what other settings do i need to try to adjust to get this thing to start? I'm not a tuner by any means, but i need to be able to start it so I can get it out of the shop and onto a trailer to go to get tuned on a dyno. Help please.

A little more info on your setup would be helpful. What engine do you have? WRX, EJ257? Heads? What Link are you running? G1, G2 or G3? Was the car running before? When was the last time you started your car? Did it stop starting after you did some modifications? I have maps for my Subaru... 01RS with turbokit and EJ257 block. I run 760cc injectors. I can send it your way if interested. I use a G1 Link Plus. Send me an e-mail to [email protected] if you would like to get a copy of the file. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK of course... The car should definitely start, and the map is not agressive at all, so assuming you have a wideband, to at least monitor your AFR, you should be able to start it and put it on a trailer..

Are you sure you havn't flooded the engine to the point the plugs are so fouled that it wont start?  That is pretty common!  Try adjusting the master right back before starting the engine to reduce the amount of fuel.  Can you smell fuel?  More importantly does it have a stable RPM signal at crank?

I have an ej22t short block with Phase 1 EJ25 DOHC heads, FMIC, and Sotck WRX TD04. I have a LEM G3. The car was running ok (rich as hell, but ok) and then I pulled it into the garage. I got busy, came back about 2 weeks later, and it wont start. In that 2 weeks, the average temp went from 40-50 to 10-20. I would like to try your map, maybe that will help. I'll check my plugs too I guess, I was hoping to avoid that cause a lot of stuff has to come out to do it, but such is life. I dont' smell gas really, but there is definetly raw unburned gas in the exhaust, so I guess I've probably fouled the plugs. Also, how much do I need to scale back the injectors to get it to run right do you think? I have 810cc's but I'm not sure what a stock WRX runs

I would turn fuel off completely and crank for a while to clear out unburnt fuel.  Remember its not just the master that has to be scaled back.  You will need to adjust cold start, pre crank prime and all sorts of stuff.  I would start by setting the master as low as it will go and then increasing it one number at a time until the engine starts and runs.  If the plugs are all black and sooty then chances are it will not start.  You may need to put new plugs in or clean them with some brake cleaner etc...

How rich were you running? If you have a wideband and you were reading say 11s when you got the car to idle before... then lower your master at least 6-10 points to see if that helps... Like Ashley said, clear all the fuel first and check the plugs, you probably foul them from running too rich