V5 plug in Link G4 capable of controling AVCS

Tony Dobnik

Could I use aux inj5 and aux inj6 to drive the AVCS solenoids? Will these drivers carry the load or would an additional transistor be required? Could I use DI2 from power steering input as one cam sensor and DI5 from the expansion plug as the other? Thanks again for any help provided. Cheers, Tony.

Tony, what do you actually need for the AVCS as far as inputs / outputs? Are there two sensors (ie one per head)?

inj5 is perfect as it only normally runs the CE light, which is pretty redundant in my mind, I use this to control water injection on my MY00.

inj6 is needed only if you have the ISC stepper motor reset on power down, if you are willing to wait for the ISC to reset itself when turning on ignition you could use this as the other output.

Of course if you changed the idle control to a solenoid instead of the stepper you'd also free up some of the primary aux outputs...

As to inputs what are required above the usual cam angle sensor?

Sorry I've not done alot on AVCS so don't know the controlling mechanisms.

Brett

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tony.

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works with this one.

The cam control must be driven off aux outputs 1-4.

It can still be done but might require more of a wiring change around.

I wasn't sure myself so I checked with the engineering department and I was informed it must be off aux 1-4. 

These are the only channels that can provide a stable high frequency signal required for the cam control.

Continuously Variable Valve timing (CVVT, VVT, VVTi, AVCS) Cam Position solenoids can only be connected to Auxiliary Outputs 1 to 4.

It is recommended to ease configuration that cam position control solenoids are wired to the same number Auxiliary Output channel as the corresponding cam position Digital Input (refer following example).

Although not absolutely necessary, it is recommended to ease configuration that cam position signals are wired to the same number Digital Input channel as the corresponding solenoid control Auxiliary Output (refer following table).

For compatibility, the following use of Digital Inputs and Auxiliary outputs is recommended for VVT wiring.  Note that in practice any Digital Input/Auxiliary Output combination can be used.

Cam Shaft

Digital Input

Auxiliary Output

Inlet or Inlet LH

DI 1

Aux 1

Inlet RH

DI 2

Aux 2

Exhaust or Exhaust LH

DI 3

Aux 3

Exhaust RH

DI 4

Aux 4

Solenoids MUST be wired directly to an auxiliary output channel DO NOT wire continuously variable valve timing solenoids through a relay as high frequency switching is used.

Some factory systems use 12V switching to control VVT solenoids.  These solenoids must be rewired to be ground switching.

• 2 months later...

Just continuing this thread - I'm doing the same thing on a V4 PNP Link G4 (MY98) and just want to confirm a couple of things. Is there any reason why the tacho signal can't be moved to Aux 5 or 6 (it's currently located on Aux 4) Is there any reason other than ease of configuration not to use the DI inputs on the expansion connector? Cheers, Adam

• 7 months later...

Still connect to the DI's even though the signal is analogue.

You can certainly use the V8 maps as a guide but I would suggest copying the settings manually as apposed to putting the map direct into the V5ecu.

The knock block can be used to give full closed loop control if desired when used in conjunction with a G4 ecu.