Adding/Changing data channels for Display Link

Josh Colombo

I was wondering if there is a way to add or change the data that goes to the Display Link.  Specifically, I would like to add EGT values so I can monitor them on the Display Link.  I recently had the Display Link & ECU hardware upgraded so it can communicate through CAN.  From what I can tell, everything is working correctly with the CAN communications, I just would like to be able to see EGT values on my Display Link.

Thanks
Josh

Hi Josh.

This is one of those things that will not come across the CAN.  ViPEC products have user configurable CAN, but the Links cannot do this.  If I am correct everything will come through across the serial so you could run the DisplayLink as serial to get this info over... I think?

Do you want me or you to test it ;)

Jurgen

Jurgen,

I have to chuckle about this....  The back story is that I have a LinkPlus G3 that has been running G4 firmware for over two years.  I rebuilt the motor in my Legacy, so the car was down for a long time, and when I finally got the engine back up and running, I updated the firmware to the latest version.  Upon doing that, it was discovered that the new firmware version with CAN would not allow me to simply unplug the Display Link connector from the cord plugged into the ECU so I could connect via PCLink.  This is what I had to do previously, and I was ok with it.  What I was told is that I could not have the cord plugged into the CAN port on the ECU, I would have to unplug it at the ECU.  Since my ECU is under the carpet in the passenger footwell, doing that every time I want to connect via PCLink wasn't a workable solution.

I was told that there was a hardware upgrade that could be performed to my G3 that would allow both the Display Link and the PCLink to communicate at the same time.  So I sent my ECU to NZ to get upgraded.  When I got it back, I still couldn't  connect via PCLink & have the Display Link connected.  After talking with Link some more I was told the Display Link needed to have hardware upgraded as well.  This unfortunately was missed the first time around, which could have saved time and money.  I was able to work with one of the US dealers and he was able to give my Display Link to someone at Link during the SEMA show.  I received the Display Link two weeks or so ago and am now able to connect both the Display Link and PCLink. 

But now you're telling me that I can't configure what options I want to come across using CAN.  I'm a little frustrated with this whole situation.  I'm not sure what the difference between the Vipec and Link products are, but if it's just a software change, I would encourage Link to allow the Display Link settings to be configurable on Link ECU based products

Thanks
Josh