Rotary Idle & Launch Control

Guest |207|

Does the V44 plug in support rotary idle?

Also does anyone have any setups for Launch Control? can you switch it with a switch and speed at the same time? any instructions on how to set that up?

The V44 has antilag with all the features like rotational idle.

Mode 2 for Launch control allows you to use speed and external switch for control.

Example of how to setup the launch control:

If you want a 5700 rpm launch, then put 5700 rpm in the 0 kph cell. After that, the clutch would have been released and you have to factor in the amount of tyre slip you want. To do this you first need to find the values for no slip. Put the car in first gear and idle along, then start the logger and accelerate slowly to max rpm. This will give you the non slip values to put in the table. The values for the high rpm should have about 10% wheel slip added. To do this use this formula to work out how much extra engine RPM will give you the 10% at the wheels.

Example at 40 kph you have 5000 RPM

Diff Ratio = 3.5

First Gear Ratio = 3.0

5000 / (3.5 + 3.0) = 769 "wheel rpm"

769 / 10 = 79 "10%"

(769 + 79) * (3.5 + 3.0) = 5512 is the rpm to put in the table at 40 kph for 10% slip.

At low speeds you may need at least 40% so the car launches and does not bog down.

• 1 month later...

Are you using antilag or launch control? if using antilag at the drag strip i would use mode 1 and use a switch wired into an available DI channel

What method of retard are you using? percentage? Degrees?

check in the ignition runtime how much actual retard is running at your given throttle opening/RPM

Are you using ignition cut?

What type of engine is this on and what type of ignition is it multicoil?

fueling is it group or sequential?

Regards

David

any more info on this?? i cannot get it to spool up like i have seen the autronic units do??

Rotary idle will not build boost. The antilag function will do this. You will need a lot of air pass the throttle butterfly for it to be effective. This can be achieved with a fixed throttle opening (around 15%) or throttle kicker solenoid or some air bypass valve.

Ray.

Thanks for the help but i realised where i was going wrong.. I had a bit of chat to my mate who owns a Autronic SMC and he gave me a run down on how it works and that really helped me work out how it works, also the dealer helped me with a few bits and pieces as well.

The settings that the VI-PEC help gives you about anti lag group N is pretty much spot on, to drive a car with rotary idle is pretty challending at first, this is NOT meant to be for a street car and can be pretty harsh on the engine if you keep using it full time.

This function of the ECU is friggin awesome. In the last 2 days at summernats I have had people ask me if the car was a rotary or V8.. the funny thing is that is a Nissan 6 cyl rb30 engine.

The Rotary idle makes the car idle at about 1700rpm and makes it sound VERY lumpy. It also makes the boost come on without even flooring the throttle.

I would have to say that the change from the Power FC to my vipec has been one of the best mods in a long timel

Good work ray, would like to see somemore settings if possible.

Cheers

Guest Dave-Kriedeman

Guilt-Toy, how are the NATS.

Are you running your car in Horsepower Heroes.

Have you been going to the dyno shoot outs, if so what has the highest HP figure been so far.

The settings that the VI-PEC help gives you about anti lag group N is pretty much spot on.

What method are you using to get more air into the motor? Kicker solenoid, throttle stop screw or simply max duty cycle from the Idle Control Motor?

Any info would be great.

Cheers.

the nats is going good, not going on the dyno because I am only on low boost and have not hooked up the boost control yet, but still get 18psi on low boost from wg, GAS have got the 2j there and the GTR as well so they should get about 1400hp or so.

as for the anti lag, i am not using any solinoids or anything, just have the throttle opened to 17% and rotary idle enabled. Using the Group N anti lag

Hi.

Have bought this ECU just by reading about Guilt Toys adventures with this in skylinesaustralia forum.. So I am keen to learn more about the functions is haves.

May be a dumb question. But what is rotary idle? Just idle so it sound like a rotary engine or does it do anything?

Guilt Toy:

Possible for you to send your file for the ECU for your engine? (If not your current file, then just the base file that comes with the plug in unit?)

Havent got the ECU yet, but ordered and paid, just playing around with the software and getting to know all the different new things it has. Am used to an Apexi Fc commander.

May be a dumb question. But what is rotary idle? Just idle so it sound like a rotary engine or does it do anything?

Rotary idle is not to make the engine sound like a rotary. Rotary idle is often also called cyclic idle or cooldown. Cooldown actually describes what it does. When a rally car has been using antilag the turbocharger turbine wheel is very hot. When the rally car gets to the end of a stage and is back at idle, the ECU cuts fuel to the injectors in a pattern. This causes a lot of air to be pumped into the exhaust which cools down the turbine wheel. It also allows the idle speed to be lower with the large fixed throttle opening.

Ray.

My file will be no use to you mate, the base one that ray sends you with the ECU should be fine for what you want it for, if you need any help with setting anything up for your car then just post up and we can help you.

I noticed that when i had cycle idle on and not using anti lag the coolant temps would run alot cooler then they would normally. So yeah its just really for cooling not much else.

I have the base file here somewhere, whats your email i will send it to you... i am pretty sure the ECU has this base file in it standard anyway ? is that right Ray ??

Its not so much for the base map. Its more for the layout and setup of the program i want to look like the software i'm getting. My email is rh (a) nissan200sx (dot) dk

Thanks for the info about rotary idle. I learned something new. :D

• 1 year later...

I do not know where the "Cyclic idle is hard on engines" came from. Antilag is hard on turbochargers.

Why would you want cyclic idle if you are not using antilag. Cyclic idle works when the antilag (ignition retard and extra fuel) turns off, to cool things down and to maintain a low idle speed with the fixed throttle opening.

The only reason I can see to use cyclic idle all the time is for the sound the engine makes.

Ray.

Guest |229|

Spot on! For the sound... Maybe later antilag will be put to good use, but for now, cyclic idle, with its mean sound, and cooling effect. Eventhough i want the antilag of, i can still use the cooling effect after runs to cool engine doen again.

So using this permanent, cyclic idle, will not shorten the life of the engine? As opposed to trashing it on the track...

• 11 years later...