Dwell time goes zero

Jim Papageorgiou

• 4 weeks later...

Could be a sign that the ECU is getting trigger errors.

I would suggest a filter level of 1 and higher arming voltages. Normally on 60-2 triggering the voltage from the sensor is higher than most applications.

Also polarity of the crank sensor is critical.

OK done them all. i raised the arming voltage for about 0.2mv and put the filter to level 1 now iam getting trigger errors and the dwell time dispite the fact that still goes "zero" now the most of the time goes 19++ms and warns me with red spot.. I forgot to say that the car was running well and there wasnt any problems before with dwell. i have allready checked twice the cables...is there anything else that i can do? PS : what do you mean polarity of the sensor ? wire polarity or position polarity? it is the only thing that didnt check...let me now what to see.. Thanks a lot!

On a relector / VR sensor the signal must rise as the tooth approaches and then fall through zero.

An easy way to test this is with a multi meter set to volts and a steel ruler or similar. You want the voltage to spike positive when the steel approaches the sensor. If it goes negative then swap the meter leads. The terminal / wire the positive meter lead is on is then your signal and the other will be ground.

• 2 weeks later...

OK done it this too.. the polarity was correcte.after all i wasnt getting any trigger errors at the past... is there any chance that the cas (relector) to be faulty? to be exact is there any chance loosing its abilty to trace the tooths by the past of the years in order to be more insensible ? Thanks in advance you have been very helpfull until now PS:when the rpm raises the dwell stops to go in that "section" of zero emmision...