link G2 to laptop

lee dwyer

hi guys i had my linkG2 fit by a tuning company and did not get any manual/instructions. im wanting to connect to my laptop. which lead do i need to buy to connect my ecu to laptop. ive downloaded V3.29. is this the correct version for my ecu ? my car is a skyline R33 GTR running a RB30 with a single turbo and nitrous. it runs great and id like to log data onto my laptop. thanks lee

You will need to buy a USB-Serial converter from a computer store if your laptop has only USB ports.  If your lap top has a 9 pin serial port (only found on older laptops) then all you need is a straight through serial cable (also purchased from a computer store).  You are best to use the latest PCLink that is available at all times.  The firmware version in your ECU will determine the oldest PCLink you can use, but any newer version will be OK.  You can download the G2 wiring and install manual from the support section of this web-site.  All other information is contained in PCLink's help file (Press F1 in PCLink).   Just a side note... do NOT plug a USB-serial converter in to your lap top until after you have installed the drivers supplied with it.

Definitely use the serial port.  USB-Serial converters are unreliable and cause all sorts of problems.  G3 ECU's have on board USB to get around all the USB-Serial converter problems we were having.  Serial cable should be about $8 compared to the $50 for a USB-Serial converter.