Analog inputs

Brendon Frame

I'm using a G3 and trying to use AN Volt1 set to Boost adjust so I can switch my boost by turning off the Boost control valve so it will run at the actuator default level(14 rather than 18psi). The blurb and the Link software suggest that I have to use an AUX. Since these are all outputs how do I achieve this. My DI is being used for Aircon. I'm at a complete loss how you can specify an OUTPUT to control something inside the micro. Is this a bug in the code or is the G3 just really really limited. The only inputs that I see are actually able to be used are: tps, an temp 1+2, trigger 1+2 and DI(aux4). All of the others are either unable to be used or they're outputs. PS: If I changed the switch to a pot the problem would still exist!

OK, I'm not sure how you confuse this problem with a software bug but here is how boost adjust works:

1. You wire a pot to an analog voltage input of which you have 2 (An Volt 1 and An Volt 2).
  2. You set up your analog voltage channel as "Boost Adjust".
  3. You wire a boost control solenoid to an auxiliary output.
  4. You set up that output as "Boost Solenoid" (at about 20 Hz).
  5. Under Boost Control, You set the load axis of the boost table to Boost Adjust.
  6. You then fill out the desired duty cycly for each RPM and boost adjust knob voltage combination.

Not too hard to set up, tuning can be done like this:

•  You will start with the row that is where you have the pot in its lowest boost position (either 5 volts or 0 volts).  Set the numbers in this row to 0% (ie run at the standard waste gate pressure).
  • In the row where the pot is in its high boost position, adjust the duty cycle numbers to achieve the high boost curve that you want.
  • Select the whole table, then right click and select interpolate vertically to fill out all the numbers in between...

The boost solenoid is already connected and functioning as desired. "Under Boost Control, You set the load axis of the boost table to Boost Adjust." Actually I can't, the options are:- none, TPS, not available, not available. I'm running 1.3.5 firmware and pclink 3.27, so boost control is open loop (not that this makes any difference). I was also assuming that this analog input could alternatively be used to turn on the dual boost table but it can't either. The options are DI or AUX - DI is used and an input and AUX - they are all outputs so not sure how they can work. This same problem exists for the dual fuel map as well.

Just found another thing that confuses me. When setting the idle % to 0 I think. I saw another single line table pop up in the idle speed control section called idle rpm. What does this do as changing number in this did nothing to my idle. Is there a manual that actually outlines what all available settings do for the G3 as there is a lot there, ie in the idle section. I seem to be having issues where I update a field in the table and it does something then return it to previous value all good. Then I try to put it back to changed value and nothing happens. This is very frustrating when trying to get idle % step for aircon and fans when on 2 consecutive cycles I cannot get the same results changing the same fields.

OK, 'Boost Adjust' was not visible under load index for boost control in PCLink V3.27.  This is fixed by using PCLink V3.28. 

Why would you want to use the analog input to turn on the dual boost tables as well as adjust boost?  Just turning the knob will change the boost level.  Using it to do the boost table as well would just over complicate it!  If you really feel the need, you could wire the pot to both the analog channel and DI to get both functions working, but good luck trying to set it up!

The same problem does not exist for the fuel and ignition map as there would never be a need to wire a pot to control them!  You will tune them to suit the highest boost level you ever need and then there is no need to switch them.  The only reason you would ever switch them is if you were changing fuel's.

I'm not sure what caused the other idle table to become visible in PCLink!!!  If you download PCLink V3.28 and firmware V1.3.6 you will be able to use closed loop idle.  That table will then allow you to adjust idle RPM once closed loop idle is setup properly.

All tuning functions are described in the PCLink online help.  Press F1 for help on any tuning function.  WEhen you change a value in PCLink with the keyboard you MUST press enter for the change to take effect.  If you make changes, you must do a 'Store' to store them permanently in the ECU....

On a side note, you cant use the DI for dual boost, fuel or ignition maps when it is already tied up doing air con!

Have a good read of the PCLink online manual, it describes the use of PCLink and tuning functions.

"On a side note, you cant use the DI for dual boost, fuel or ignition maps when it is already tied up doing air con!" The question was intended to ask whether I could use the an1 to control the fuel and/or ignition maps rather than just the boost changes. Also I was using a switch (as per my V5 setup) as the intermediate steps are of no use to me. I was expecting that an analog voltage in could have been used to 'switch' the 2nd boost table in, but that seems limited to the DI. Have upgraded software as suggested and the mysterious table does not come back, bug fixed. I'm running windows Vista, so your help as I've now discovered won't work. After talking to Simon I have managed to read these files on my desktop. So I've learned something as well. I'm still having major issues with the idle setup. When the car is dead cold I setup the table so that as it warmed up I could keep the rpm at or about 950 rather than the warm value of approx 850. When I tried adjusting the aircon values I could get things running what I thought was nicely. I then tried to change the eng fan values and no matter how big I made the numbers nothing happened. I settled for 5 across the range in case it worked magicly later (based on the operation of my G3 so far). Then this morning when I wanted to drive with the car dead cold the idle was running at 2000rpm. Needless to say I tweaked the numbers again to bring them down, but it now appears that the eng fan value might be doing something. I'll check over the weekend to be absolutely certain of this but this seems wrong to me. Can you explain why the idle is so troublesome. It seems that I cannot enter values into the table, pressing ENTER as I go and then STORING and have them act in a predictable way from day to day. As an extra I have had to reduce the accel deadband and accel sens down to 2 for both to stop a really, really bad dip as you press the throttle from idle. This was at its worst when trying to take off slowly. Can you please explain this as I thought that the change in MGP (which is very visible and rapid on the table) was enough to start the accel process. My previous values were 8 (deadband) and 4 (sens).

Thanks for the response. I have now confirmed via a phone call to Simon on Friday that my erratic aircon on idle is in fact a bug and that you guys are trying to fix it. He advised trying closed loop control, so we'll see how that works out. It would have been a far more successful marketing exercise to have advised me of the bug rather than letting me chase you after getting p###d off at the lack of response from this forum. Actions like this make it difficult for me to recommend your product due to the lack of support. "As an extra I have had to reduce the accel deadband and accel sens down to 2 for both to stop a really, really bad dip as you press the throttle from idle. This was at its worst when trying to take off slowly. Can you please explain this as I thought that the change in MGP (which is very visible and rapid on the table) was enough to start the accel process. My previous values were 8 (deadband) and 4 (sens). " Still none the wiser as to why a change in MGP value of 50 cannot be detected when accel deadband is set to 8 and sens to 5. I still seem to be having problems with the eng-fan idle step-up in that it doesn't work. Any ideas? EXTRA: It appears that windows vista does not use the .hlp style files structure for help anymore so it may be advantageous to specify that pclink help is not compatible with vista so others don't get caught as I was. Cheers