LinkPlus G2 Sync point RoverV8

Peter Snowdon

Can you please set me straight, In the setup manual it describes note 4 page 73 to : Enter the number of the first cylinder to fire after the sync pulse under the cyl after sync, PCLink asks for Sync position after a cylinder No# ? I have entered the cylinder #8 that fires after the sync which happens at No#1 TDC is this correct? a couple of little Q, when setup for sequential: is eccel enrichment bank injected? Is there another manual as the manual describes turning off certain features for fist time setup, but does`nt expand on the features like injecter timing which is only available for sequential? I ask this as shortly after good positive start 3 seconds latter its all over the place, and can be kept running with eccel, as if inject timing is out.

Unfortuneately you have not given me enough information regarding the triggering arrangement.  Older distributed Rover V8's had no sync pulse so could not run sequential injection.  In that case the Sync Position will not matter.  If it is a later Rover V8 with wasted spark arrangement and you have entered the firing order correctly, wired the coils correctly and set the base timing correctly then the engine will not run unless Sync Position is correct.  As you said, this setting is the cylinder number that fires next after the sync pulse occurs.  That can only be found by examining the actual engine position where the sync pulse occurs.

Have you set your ignition timing correctly and is it completely stable while the engine is running?

Acceleration enrichment is acheived by lengthening the injection pulses and is not dependent on injection mode (ie it will happen sequentially if Sequential mode is selected).  

As far as your engine being like injection timing is out, It should not actualy make any major difference to the engines running this early in the project.  It will not be until it is on a dyno with precise AFR meter will you realise the benefits of sequential injection.  If you are unsure then select group fire mode until you get up and running.  If it falls over after the burst, then I would check the settings of Master and Warmup Enrichment. 

Help for all tuning functions is described in the PCLink online help.  Press F1 or right click and select 'Whats this?' for help on any tuning function. 

Cheers Ashly, thanks for quick reply, the 1985 SD1 V8 has a sync hall sensor on the crank at No1 TDC which did have a factory fitted inductive diagnostic sensor originally, the dizzy has a hall pickup on an 8 segment chopper, when you say engine won`t run if sync is selected and in incorrect order, the engine was started with No#1 selected as first after sync and it started but ran all over the place, by entering the correct No#8 it runs but lumpy as if missing an injection or two. It seems that with eccel enrichment things smooth a little so will try your sugestions although difficult to check timing while keeping running, the PCLink pickup diagnostic does`nt show any faults, will try more fuelling adjustments.

The answer came with another read of the installation manual, I had taken advice from someone who I thought new better who advised a crankshaft sensor which rotates at half the dizzy speed and of which will give two sync positions DAh. I will have to have another look at the dizzy to see if I can fit a single pulse per rotation pickup alongside the 8 segment pickup.

If you are running wasted spark and group fire injection, one sync pulse per crankshaft revolution will be fine.  To run sequential injection you must have at least 8 crank pulses (4 teeth on the crank) for one sync pulse (ie one sync for two crank rotations).  If you are triggering from a distributor (or cam speed driven trigger) then you need one pickup to have at least eight teeth and another with just one tooth.