ECU goes Offline when engine starts running

Vonny Phomsouvanh

Hi All, I have a G4Plugin(NS15G4) and i am having problems with the ecu going offline when i turn key to start the engine and its running. Ive downloaded the latest PClink software and did a firmware update and everything works. I can go online with key-on-engine-off with no problems at all, but the moment i start the engine and it runs, the ecu goes offline and i get a message 'ECU not responding'. I then have to reboot the laptop, and with key on i can go online again. Ive tried all different communication settings and nothing seems to help. Can anyone provide any suggestions please? Thankyou in advance.

Just an update on the above vehicle. The problem is now sorted. The vehicle had aftermarket coilpacks and ignitor/amplifier box (splitfire) and i removed them and replaced it with OEM coilpacks and i regained communication with the laptop. After discussing the problem with Jurgen I used a scope to check High Tension (Kv's) and found erratic voltages. Further digging found unusually high resistance on the coilpacks earth return so i removed coilpacks/amplifier and the problem disappeared. Its odd since the splitfire system only intercepts the ecu trigger and power supply.

• 11 years later...